Ethernet Slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbssat

I was out supporting a business client today that was having problems with their ethernet connection. The connection speed starts to crawl after going for a while, but unplugging and replugging the ethernet cable from the computer resolves the issue and then it goes through the same cycle again. I am using a Via Rhine Fast Ethernet adapter and device manager indicates that it is working properly. The customer has 5 ethernet jacks and if I recall on a previous call; It was plugged into another port and I moved it into the current working port. Any ideas on this?

The first thing I would want to know: why are there 5 ethernet inputs. Is it some kind of a splitter. Can it ne removed and then plug the ethernet (closer) to the machine?

Evidently this is some type of splitter with 5 ethernet ports. The office space that they use was a school that houses a few other things. I did notice that on my first visit;I was able to unplug the cable from one port and use another port. However, when I initially tried to plug it back into the same port;I could not connect. The internet service that they are with uses a radio transmitter with an antenna on top of the building. Evidently, they tied into the old line that the school used to a certain point to make the connection. The normal speed is supposed to be 1.5mbps with a burst speed up to 3mbps and it seems to be this fast when working correctly. My thoughts are to take the wall plate off this splitter and see whats going on. I know that internal ethernet adapters can be a problem but I have built quite a few computers with this Via adapter and never had any issues. I guess there is always a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back