EU warns US tech firms they could face new laws forcing them to remove hate speech faster

midian182

Staff member

The European Union has long been calling on tech companies to do more when it comes to tackling online hate speech. Earlier this year, four of the biggest firms – Facebook, Microsoft, YouTube, and Twitter – signed up to a voluntary code of conduct that would see them review and, if necessary, remove such material within 24 hours of being notified. But the EU says they aren’t sticking to their promise.

Reuters reports that a review conducted by EU Justice Commissioner Vera Jourova found less than half the cases of online hate speech were being addressed within the 24-hour time period agreed on.

"In practice the companies take longer and do not yet achieve this goal. They only reviewed 40 percent of the recorded cases in less than 24 hours," a Commission official said. "After 48 hours the figure is more than 80 percent. This shows that the target can realistically be achieved, but this will need much stronger efforts by the IT companies."

According to The Financial Times, YouTube was the fastest of the four companies to respond to complaints, while Twitter was the slowest. Additionally, the removal rates of racist posts differed across Europe; in Germany and France it was 50 percent, while in Austria it was 11 percent, and just 4 percent in Italy.

Jourova warned that if things don’t improve, the companies could face new laws that force them to act faster."If Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Microsoft want to convince me and the ministers that the non-legislative approach can work, they will have to act quickly and make a strong effort in the coming months."

The refugee crisis, terrorist bombings, and the rise of several far-right groups have contributed to the increase in hateful online material appearing across Europe recently. Back in May, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter were sued by several French rights groups for failing to remove racist, anti-semitic and homophobic content.

Permalink to story.

I hope the EU has enough money to finance this new tech & employ heaps of people to remove this hate speech

The refugee crisis, terrorist bombings, and the rise of several far-right groups have contributed to the increase in hateful online material appearing across Europe recently. Back in May, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter were sued by several French rights groups for failing to remove racist, anti-semitic and homophobic content.

Brexit.

Trump.

Renzi.

The era of the EU and its globalist peers is over. Cracking down on "hate speech" is only going to add momentum to the movement. We didn't ask for this fight, but you better believe we're going to end it.

Special snowflakes having their feelings hurt from a little banter. Nothing new here.

Special snowflakes having their feelings hurt from a little banter. Nothing new here.

This is a perfect example of why the EU is doing this. People like you feel the need to wise crack at everyone else's expense. Touting the part line, the same one used by neo-nazi and bigots, does not help your case. You've only canned yourself as the modern racist movement. The people who defend their rights are not "Special snowflakes", you are for putting them down when they are the one standing up.

This is a perfect example of why the EU is doing this. People like you feel the need to wise crack at everyone else's expense. Touting the part line, the same one used by neo-nazi and bigots, does not help your case. You've only canned yourself as the modern racist movement. The people who defend their rights are not "Special snowflakes", you are for putting them down when they are the one standing up.
And here's Nobina's case and point kindly provided by Evernessince.

-----------------------

People are too sensitive nowadays, and such people will more than likely be overlooking cases of "hate" speech (as in, a lot of biased censoring will be happening).
Just because you have a right to be offended, doesn't mean that you should get offended.

Let's tackle this one issue at a time. "The refuge crisis". The Assad regime, now joined by Russia, is creating this "crisis". They want all the dissidents gone, and they're bound and determined to sludge up every other country in the world's economies, and living conditions by driving them out. And you're guaranteed to feel sorry for them because they are so pathetic. But in the next breath, you'll be b!tching about them taking your jobs, and sh!tting up your neighborhood.

Now, homosexuality.... Any army runs on its "uniformity", and generally has uniforms to prove it. When I hear all the crap about what a "lousy policy", "don't ask, don't tell" was, I cringe. Well, with the new mores "pounding" their way into the armed forces, pretty soon we'll have drag queens marching out on the parade ground. So for me, anyone who starts in with "I just want the opportunity to be openly gay", what they're really saying, "I just want to rub your nose into exactly how f***ing fabulous, I really think I am".

So, let's just say I fully support the right to equality, with respect to gay couples rights pertaining to inheritance and governmental survivor's benefits, but when you come out and play with all us other children, try to blend in a bit better. In other words, "we won't ask, if you don't tell".

Most of this nonsense is attempted blackmail on the part of minorities. Like the football player who, "came out" in college.

Many people though he was "so brave". IMHO, that was a maneuver designed to make certain he would get drafted to the pros, and if he didn't, he could immediately start running his yap about, "scrimination".

The NFL took the Assad approach, and made him into a "refugee", destined for the Canadian football league. See how that works?

For every human action, there is an ulterior motive, period. I've said this before but, "when a race, creed, nationality, or sexual orientation starts saying, "we just want a shot at equality", what they're really saying is, "we're going to whimper, moan, beg, plead, and inflict ourselves on you, until we're the ones running the show".

There's no, "hate speech" here. People can do whatever they choose behind their closed bedroom doors. It's just I don't intend to cheer for you, I have no intention of ever participating, and neither will you ever be doing whatever you're doing, behind MY closed door.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". Nowhere is this more apparent than in job applications. When you start admitting or hiring lesser qualified people because of their race or sexual orientation, doesn't that mean a straight white male might have to work twice as hard, and know twice as much, yet still not be hired?

As far as the EU goes, "they have thousands of years of years of experience on us with governance". What that doesn't take into consideration, is the fact most of that was governments consisting of Kings who thought they were God, many of which were bisexual or outright homosexual. So, these people were "elitists", along with being the same wonderful people who bought us "hemophilia", due to inbreeding. Oh, and don't forget John of England, (the guy who was forced to sign the "Magna Carta"), his 2nd wife was the lovely, "Isabella", who was all of 13 at the altar.

Last edited:

This is now the exclusive response of the snowflakes. "Das raciss."

Being anti-immigrant, anti-globalist, or anti-anything else that snowflakes want to call raciss, sexiss, or misogiknee, or -fobik isn't a violation of rights. There is no right to not be offended or have people oppose you.

The world does not care about feelings. It cares about results. The sooner the snowflakes are evaporated the sooner we can get back to solving real problems.

If that's raciss, so be it.

Thank you for proving my point. Those snowflakes I was referring to usually make no sense when they speak. You are proving that know as well.

Thank you for proving my point. Those snowflakes I was referring to usually make no sense when they speak. You are proving that know as well.

Ah, I get it. I'm pointing out a derogatory post. You've got the high ground because you took the initiative and posted something nasty in order to then say that you are proving your point, even though you just admitted to being trapped in your own system. If you have to go around internet forums posting that, I think you are the one who couldn't handle a little banter and now spends his pitiful life trying to bring everyone down to your level.

Let's tackle this one issue at a time. "The refuge crisis". The Assad regime, now joined by Russia, is creating this "crisis". They want all the dissidents gone, and they're bound and determined to sludge up every other country in the world's economies, and living conditions by driving them out. And you're guaranteed to feel sorry for them because they are so pathetic. But in the next breath, you'll be b!tching about them taking your jobs, and sh!tting up your neighborhood.

Now, homosexuality.... Any army runs on its "uniformity", and generally has uniforms to prove it. When I hear all the crap about what a "lousy policy", "don't ask, don't tell" was, I cringe. Well, with the new mores "pounding" their way into the armed forces, pretty soon we'll have drag queens marching out on the parade ground. So for me, anyone who starts in with "I just want the opportunity to be openly gay", what they're really saying, "I just want to rub your nose into exactly how f***ing fabulous, I really think I am".

So, let's just say I fully support the right to equality, with respect to gay couples rights pertaining to inheritance and governmental survivor's benefits, but when you come out and play with all us other children, try to blend in a bit better. In other words, "we won't ask, if you don't tell".

Most of this nonsense is attempted blackmail on the part of minorities. Like the football player who, "came out" in college.

Many people though he was "so brave". IMHO, that was a maneuver designed to make certain he would get drafted to the pros, and if he didn't, he could immediately start running his yap about, "scrimination".

The NFL took the Assad approach, and made him into a "refugee", destined for the Canadian football league. See how that works?

For every human action, there is an ulterior motive, period. I've said this before but, "when a race, creed, nationality, or sexual orientation starts saying, "we just want a shot at equality", what they're really saying is, "we're going to whimper, moan, beg, plead, and inflict ourselves on you, until we're the ones running the show".

There's no, "hate speech" here. People can do whatever they choose behind their closed bedroom doors. It's just I don't intend to cheer for you, I have no intention of ever participating, and neither will you ever be doing whatever you're doing, behind MY closed door.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". Nowhere is this more apparent than in job applications. When you start admitting or hiring lesser qualified people because of their race or sexual orientation, doesn't that mean a straight white male might have to work twice as hard, and know twice as much, yet still not be hired?

As far as the EU goes, "they have thousands of years of years of experience on us with governance". What that doesn't take into consideration, is the fact most of that was governments consisting of Kings who thought they were God, many of which were bisexual or outright homosexual. So, these people were "elitists", along with being the same wonderful people who bought us "hemophilia", due to inbreeding. Oh, and don't forget John of England, (the guy who was forced to sign the "Magna Carta"), his 2nd wife was the lovely, "Isabella", who was all of 13 at the altar.

I definitely agree on many of your points, there are those in minority groups that use sympathy to their advantage. Company diversification, minority scholarships, ect. I would argue that while there are always bad actors in any system the only reason these steps were even required is because people are refusing to see that discrimination is alive and well. Sure there are gay's that are very forward and in your face about it but is that really so bad compared to the opposite? People being Anti-gay or just non-tolerant in general, these people usually have nasty personalities and it's that line of thinking that only breeds a negative climate.

Ah, I get it. I'm pointing out a derogatory post. You've got the high ground because you took the initiative and posted something nasty in order to then say that you are proving your point, even though you just admitted to being trapped in your own system. If you have to go around internet forums posting that, I think you are the one who couldn't handle a little banter and now spends his pitiful life trying to bring everyone down to your level.
Hmm, let's see...He's getting all defensive claiming my life is pitiful, I'm trapped in some kind of system...Yes, typical nonsense.

Thanks for proving my point!

Current thread score, measured by 'likes':

Myself (2 posts) - 8
Nobina (3 posts) - 4
M4a4 (1 post) - 3
Cranky (1 post) - 2
WizardB (1 post) - 2
Wastedkill (1 post) - 0
Evernessince (3 posts) - 0

The only thing you're proving is why snowflakes need safe spaces.

Current thread score, measured by 'likes':

Myself (2 posts) - 8
Nobina (3 posts) - 4
M4a4 (1 post) - 3
Cranky (1 post) - 2
WizardB (1 post) - 2
Wastedkill (1 post) - 0
Evernessince (3 posts) - 0

The only thing you're proving is why snowflakes need safe spaces.
I would have given that a like, save for the fact it would only go to your head....:eek: :D

Yes, please do not. I don't do this for imaginary pats on the back. Hell, I don't even know why I do this in general.
Well then, you should have given me a "like" for my post which you're quoting.(y)

Besides, I was just breaking Mr. Lane's balz, of which I'm sure he'll reciprocate, when time and opportunity present themselves....:D

I would have given that a like, save for the fact it would only go to your head....:eek: :D

I had anticipated this, which is why I put myself at the top of my own list.

Well then, you should have given me a "like" for my post which you're quoting.(y)

Besides, I was just breaking Mr. Lane's balz, of which I'm sure he'll reciprocate, when time and opportunity present themselves....:D

Foresight of this precision should be sold to the highest bidder.

This is the same playbook used by totalitarians since time immemorial. They call their targets many things. This time around, they are calling it "hate speech." Well, here's some news for you: Words on a forum page can't actually hurt you. If your ego is so fragile that being called a "special snowflake" sends you into convulsions, then one, the term is accurate, and two, you should probably get off the internet. Some people are going to disagree with you. Some people are going to insult you. I've seen enough of that directed at me. But do you know what? It doesn't cause any bruises. And it doesn't cause me to miss any meals.

But let's face the facts. This isn't about you seeing posts you don't like. This is about wanting to control what other people can see and hear. Brainwashing is a great deal easier if no dissent is permitted to be seen.

This is the same playbook used by totalitarians since time immemorial. They call their targets many things. This time around, they are calling it "hate speech." Well, here's some news for you: Words on a forum page can't actually hurt you. If your ego is so fragile that being called a "special snowflake" sends you into convulsions, then one, the term is accurate, and two, you should probably get off the internet. Some people are going to disagree with you. Some people are going to insult you. I've seen enough of that directed at me. But do you know what? It doesn't cause any bruises. And it doesn't cause me to miss any meals.

But let's face the facts. This isn't about you seeing posts you don't like. This is about wanting to control what other people can see and hear. Brainwashing is a great deal easier if no dissent is permitted to be seen.

My first post was never about being called a special snowflake, it was about the use of that alt-right party line. It's no coincidence that people all over the internet are using the same two words. Behind those words is a party of hate.

My first post was never about being called a special snowflake, it was about the use of that alt-right party line. It's no coincidence that people all over the internet are using the same two words. Behind those words is a party of hate.

My own observations are that those two words are borne from exasperation at people who love to dish it out but can't take it. But if you want to talk about a party of hate, you need look no further than your own mirror -- supporting a policy to censor dissent. Of course, there is also the "not my president" crowd that physically assaults anyone believed to have voted for Trump, or the push to make sure "fake news sites" don't show up in search results so that people only see what they're supposed to see. You really are in no position to be calling anyone else part of a "party of hate."

My own observations are that those two words are borne from exasperation at people who love to dish it out but can't take it. But if you want to talk about a party of hate, you need look no further than your own mirror -- supporting a policy to censor dissent. Of course, there is also the "not my president" crowd that physically assaults anyone believed to have voted for Trump, or the push to make sure "fake news sites" don't show up in search results so that people only see what they're supposed to see. You really are in no position to be calling anyone else part of a "party of hate."

That is a complete assumption that I am part of any party. Are you going to start calling me a "libratard" just because I pointed out a party line? Ironic that is the same comment that you spout "you need look no further than your own mirror -- supporting a policy to censor dissent" and then you go on to try to can me into a specific brand and then try to label me with things I've never done. Dam you are some sort of Hypocrite.

Well, all I have to say is, "me too, I know you are"!:p

This thread just keeps getting better and better.

I'm not sure, but I think that should be spelled, "libretard". 'Cause, "libro" is "book", "libra" is "pound", but, "libre" means "free". (Which doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense either, but it's closer than book or pound). :D

Well, all I have to say is, "me too, I know you are"!:p

This thread just keeps getting better and better.

I'm not sure, but I think that should be spelled, "libretard". 'Cause, "libro" is "book", "libra" is "pound", but, "libre" means "free". (Which doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense either, but it's closer than book or pound). :D

Ops, honest mistake. I just see it being used all over the place by the alt-right when they want to dehumanize people while complaining about themselves being dehumanized and marginalized.

Back