Every Application crashing with same message, Reformat wont fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

Every Application ive installed so far has crashed with the same message (say for example firefox)

"Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close"

When firefox usually crashes its the modname is usually just "firefox.exe". Games are doing this, explorer is doing this, Misc app's (such as MSN) are also doing this.

And all Crashes are totally random, nothing to provoke it

It started around the time I attempted to Decompress my hard drive (to remove NTFS COmpression, made a thread about it as some may know) and I assumed this was what was causing it. But I have Reformatted this Hard drive (main, 160g WD) around 5 times in the last few days (with a few diff versions of XP) to attempt to fix this and it always comes back. Some of the installations came with other problems, some were not that bad, but no matter what every format ive done has had THIS problem. And in the recent 3 formats I have had lots and lots of errors about corrupted files as well (even my slave drive has has alot of corrupt files also, it is mainly used for data storage and hasnt been formatted in a while)

Everything is updated (including BIOS + Windows), tried reinstalling most programs,ran most windows disc check facilitys, computer is clean of spy/adware although I cant run HijackThis becuase it complains of missing file (MSVBVM60.DLL) but I have ran it on past installations and it was clean but everything was still crashing. I do have to admit thought my browsers dont seem to be crashing as often as before with this installation, wheither its something I done or not im not sure. Perhaps I havnt given it long enough

The hard drive I am using as my main (160g , rest of spec in sig) used to have a 130g partition and a 20g partition on it before all this began. The first format wiped it all and I just put 130g back on but my other (more uptodate) CD managed to get 150g (although that cd is faulty so I made the partiton with that cd and installed it with the other disc. Not the best idea but thats another problem) and whether some data is still on the drive from a past format doing this I cant be sure (wouldnt explain how it started though). Was considering aquireing a tool to properly wipe the drive but thought I should consult here first :) because I only have a few ideas left that dont include fire and sharp things.

Another thing is I got alot of random restarts when I fresh installed , I checked the error code back to be the RAM which I know to be dodgey. I dont think that could affect this but I thought it would be best to ask

Speaking of error codes attached is a .txt of what Dr watson said about one of the crashes for one of my games, and 2 other common firefox crashes . Ill add more for other apps if desired. I assume there is a link bewtween them all since it is the same type of error dialog that appear every time.

I'm on the verge of setting this thing on fire so if you can, save my poor computers life :(

Attachments

• Medal Of Honor Breakthrough.txt
    974 bytes · Views: 6
Follow Howard's instructions here
then zip up 3 or 4 minidumps and attach them to this thread. Skip whatever steps you have already tried.

cheers m8,

Although i think i found the problem. I took out 3 sticks of ram (had 2 512mb sticks and 2 new 1g sticks) and left it with jsut a geg stick, and i havnt had any messages since. Im gonna keep using it to make sure, then try and put another 1g stick in. I had a problem with that though becuase when i put the sticks in dual channel mode, as soon as the windows startup loadings screen is finished the pc restarts, every time, and i havnt a clue why.

Althought if the error comes back ill try your siggestion, and thanx for the reply:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back