Experienced tech support needed here... please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clueless78

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

I have an older computer (specs are below) with a video problem. For some strange reason it doesn't like to have a video driver installed. When there is a video driver installed, it will : freeze randomly, monitor will turn off, computer will restart on its own, and sometimes I even get horizontal lines rolling down the screen. Needless to say, the computer is pretty much in-operable. However, when there is no VGA driver installed, the computer runs just fine. No problems at all. I have tried all the drivers ATI has to offer and i still get the same result.

I have tried 2 different AGP cards in this computer (9200SE and a 9550), all with the same result. I then tried these two cards in my main computer and they work fine with the drivers...so the video cards are fine...so what gives ? Is the motherboard defective maybe? The computer had no problem before running the 9200SE. Now, since we formatted the hard drive,(because of nasty virus), it doesn't want to have a video driver installed. I've never run into this problem before... Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated, as there is almost no information out there regarding this problem.

I can't see it being a BIOS issue because I haven't changed anything in it recently. My only guess is there's something wacky with the mobo... or some bizzare software problem. Please help.

SPECS:

950 Mhz AMD Athlon (Slot A) Processor
ASUS K7V Motherboard (w/universal AGP Pro slot)
512Mb PC133 Ram
300W 10A Macron PSU
ATI 9200 SE and ASUS 9550
AGP speed set to max which is 4X
40Gb HD
Windows XP SP2 (fully updated)

You probably didn't install your motherboard's chipet drivers after you reinstalled windows. That would be my first guess.

Hehe You're absolutely right. I didn't even think of doing that. But, we have had to format this computer before with the 9200 installed and never installed the chipset drivers. I will see if I can find them on the internet... and install them... Thanks for tip. I'll post back as soon as I get that done.

Not sure what I should do now. Went to the ASUS website and they don't have any WinXP drivers for this MoBo. They do have drivers for Win2000 though... not too sure if i should try those or not. Any ideas?

tried this?

You might try the ATI site. Did the cards not come with installation CD's? If so there should be enough drivers on them to get you going, then find updates (Google the card). You may also have to uninstall/reinstall the card(s) physically to get Windows to recognize the hardware before installing the drivers.

There are no chipset drivers available for that motherboard, as far as I know. It was NOT designed for WXP. It is not designed to handle the 9200 OR the 9550.
I think you are asking for performance out of that motherboard it is not designed to provide.
What happens when you use a lesser video card? Works, right?

The biggest problem I've seen with that motherboard, as the previous poster mentioned, is you can't push them very far nor are they setup for Windows XP.

What I've seen limited success with is actually afixing a Pentium 1 heatsink/fan to the northbridge chip. Doing this often times allows for higher-end, higher-performance AGP cards (yes, even at 4x).

For now, I'd recommend using the ATI Catalyst 6.11 with CCC. In the SmartGART- disable AGP Writes and Fast Writes and slide AGP down to 2x. This should maintain something that resembles stability. You can also hit viaarena.com and try the Hyperion 4-in-1's which might help a bit too even though they aren't specifically tailored for the kx133's.

What is really weird, is that it functioned for over a year with XP Pro, and a 9200 SE. It ran very nice. Then we had to format/install XP Pro again (but this time installed SP2) and that's when this problem started.

Since then I have installed Windows 2000 w/SP4 and i am getting the same result. So, I think the mobo might be on death's door? But then again, i'm just guessing.

I have tried everyone's suggestions but can't get this computer to run ATI graphics drivers. It will only run with the generic drivers... which really does suck! Oh well... i'm outta ideas and patience. lol If anyone has other ideas i'm still very much open to them, and I appreciate any help.

If you are trying to run the 9200, try an older catalyst driver, 6.5 or earlier. 6.5 was the last one to support the 9200. The newest (6.12) still supports the 9550.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back