Experiencing horrible CPU performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtimmmyx

When i select to view kernels, my cpu usage is usually displayed half red. I also have noticed(that since it started doing this) horrible performance from my CPU. Its actually so bad that i ant even run rise of nations, and most people should know thats not that much of a hardware demanding game. Im running a Pentium 4 (non HT) running at 2.4 Ghz with 768 mb of RAM. If anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate some help.

When you view processes is there any particular entry in the cpu column that is constantly high (apart from "system idle process"), if there is what is the image,user name and mem usage?

umm, it depends on what program i am running. If i am running Firefox, then thats it, or if its UT2004, then its that one.

Perform a full system maintainance as discribed in the stickies. The kernel view should almost mirror the cpu usage. it does not seem as if your processes are excessive so hopefully a full maintanance check will speed you up again, view similar posts on techspot with similar problem.

It's quite normal for games to be taking up most of your CPU cycles. As for Firefox, maybe you load up pages with lots of flash applets on it which is known to slow down quite a few machines.

i_am_a_newbie said:
^ Doesn't firefox also have a random memory leak issue that hasn't been fixed yet?

Yes, it does. I'm currently using it, and it is using 51MB of RAM and growing.

YOu can also clean up your temp files, cookies and other such files. I happen to use one called "internet sweeper pro", which is likely not all that common, but seems to work for me, although i am not a gamer.

Im not sure exactly where you are checking your processes, and, if you arent, you might want to run windows task mgr (ctrl-alt-delete) and see what processes are listed under cpu that might be causing the problem.
Excuse me if you are already using task mgr.

??

pcaceit said:
Perform a full system maintainance as discribed in the stickies. The kernel view should almost mirror the cpu usage. it does not seem as if your processes are excessive so hopefully a full maintanance check will speed you up again, view similar posts on techspot with similar problem.

can you give me a link to the full system maintainance sticky? im having severe trouble finding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back