Explorer.exe wont run - XP boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I recently thought id upgrade my version of IE to the new IE7 RC1 i downloaded and installed it my OEM version of Xp Pro with Sp2 ( i have had some problems with windows recognising its authenticity) but anyway... so i restart after install and boots ok into the xp login screen then the screen just goes to the back ground and comes up with a explorer.exe error and i assume explorer.exe is terminated looks like:

explorer.exe

App Name: explorer.exe App Ver 6.0.29900.2096
Mod Ver: 5.1.2600.2096 Mod Name: Kernell32.dll
Offset: 0001ddf1

OK so i can Ctrl + alt + del nd go into task manager but there is no explorer.exe if i try and run the task it says :

"windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

the only account i have is an admin one and i am logged in so far as one.

I tried swapping with another hdd from another machine to see if it works now the other hdd works fine in the other pc i have but wont boot when i swap to replace the stuffed one. it boots up and gets to the windows didnt shutdown/boot correctly this might be due to a recent software/hardware change blah blah etc. and it gives me a few startup options.
Boot windows normally
Use most recent settings that worked
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
etc
when i choose any of them it goes to black screen then restarts again and goes through the bios memory check etc

ANy help on getting it to either boot using other HDD or any help on booting from diffrent HDD

p.s My machine is AMD Athlon 900 756mb ram 40 gb hdd (IBM Deskstar)

the other is from a Dell optiplex Gx150 20 gb (western Digital)

i assume it doesnt boot cause its from diff machine but i had no other idea at the time

Thanks in advance

There's no such thing as Kernell32.dll. Kernel32, sure... But not Kernell32. You should scan your system for viruses or try reinstalling Windows again and apply SP2 with the latest updates ASAP.

if there is no virus, try system restore, at least the old explorer has got to be better than the one you have now:cool:

Thanks guys yeah im sure its kernel32.dll no ll i mistyped.

I kinda think its from installing IE7 RC1 or a hotfix that was installed withe IE7 or after it. does anyone know which hotfixes are needed for IE7 to work or anything cause i can just maybe try to uninstall them. i remember installing a hotfix something ike NSdl or the sort.

i dunno if replacing explorer.exe will do anything but ill give it a shot

thanks fellas

Kernel32.dll error doesn't load my desktop on windows start up

Hi All,

I recently thought id upgrade my version of IE to the new IE7 RC1 i downloaded and installed it my OEM version of Xp Pro with Sp2. so i restart after install and boots ok into the xp login screen then the screen just goes to the back ground and comes up with a explorer.exe/kernel32.dll error
explorer.exe

App Name: explorer.exe App Ver 6.0.29900.2096
Mod Ver: 5.1.2600.2096 Mod Name: Kernell32.dll
Offset: 0001ddf1

thanks

Hi theoanil Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

I see this is your first post!

(And i also see you resurrected a 2-year old thread!! ;))

You should find you get better responses by starting a new thread for your specific problem in a forum. Take a few minutes to read this and Guide to Making a Good Post/Thread

When i first read your problem i thought this thread might apply . But re-reading not so sure.

But if you start a new thread after reading thru the above, am sure someone will be on to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back