explorer starting to behave odly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanglera

what has happened?
My windows explorer has started to behave very strange just one hour ago....

For example its very slow
and suddenly it hangs totaly and i have to shut it down and reopen it...

sometimes it dosent even find "my computer"??

I havent lately done anything strange so it came as a surprise.....
What could i do....

should i do a system restore from yesterday maybe?

Thanks for help../Andy

well, doing a system restore shouldn't do any harm, provided you haven't installed anything, etc, since your last restore point.

If you decide you want to find out what the problem is, maybe one avenue might be to first look at what is running when this happens.. Also, you might want to bring up Task manager, and watch how much of your memory/CPU Explorer is using as this happens. Maybe something else is screwing up and causing the problem.

Have you installed anything lately? virus scanned? scanned for adware/spyware?

im doing some scanning at the moment...it seems to be fine ....
if adaware finds something i quarantine it right?

i did reinstall a game just before the problem occured...and...i also did download a movie on direct connect...

but i cant see how that can be a problem can it?

by the way... if i do a system restore do i loose downloaded stuff since that restore?

I have heard that problems like this occurs when you have been hijacked...is that right?

(But i do know that the explorer has been a little strange in one way lately and that is that sometimes it tells me i cant move a file because it is being used by another program...but that hasnt been true. and i have a feeling that it mostly occurs with video-files....but anyway i dont think this is related with the problem im having right know.)

thanks andy

more precise details might be useful.

what games? what kind of downloads/to where?

What exactly does explorer do? when, and how?

Where are the files you are trying to delete located? are they showing in task manager --> processes at the time you are told that they are in use?

i did a reinstall of the game vietcong. To make sure i got rid of everything during uninstall of the game I did go in to regedit and deleted vietcong keys.

I downloaded two movies (avi-files).

Explorer is really slow on startup and closing down. and instead of closing down it answers "program not responding".

When opening my computer the searchlight starts but it doesnt find anything...this is really strange....

i can play movies and stuff but every folder that needs to be opened takes a LOT of time...

adaware just found:
WhenU Object recognized!
Type : RegKey
Data :
Rootkey : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Object : WUSN.1

i dont know what that is....but its been taken care of....

i dont run anything speciall at the moment just finished the scannings and no viruses detected....im gonna try delete the avi-files i downloaded....and as a last thing i do a system restore....

the intérnet explorer seems to work fine...maybe a bit slow as well...

i just noticed that when explorer hangs....it uses 100 percent cpu in the task manager...

and it seems to happen specially when the folder containing the movies is opened...

when i open files from windows mediaplayer the folders open as they should....without slowdown.....

it seems like the explorer has got hurt somehow not the computer as a whole...

yeah it seems like that explorer only hangs when the specific directconnectdownload-folder opens containing the movies etc.
im gonna try deleting the movies maybe?

is there a communication problem between the folder and direct connect maybe? Is that why i cant move files around because direct connect doesnt want to....hmm?

ok i cant even delete the file...i just tried!

what could prevent me from deleting the file...this is just getting stranger...

ok i solved it ....went in safe mode and deleted the file!

that must have been a hell of a corrupt file messing up the explorer totally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back