Exporting users .pst from Admin account

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.jacko

Hi all,

a works laptop has gone screwey (it mainly affects the user account) and i need to get the pop3 mail settings etc off that account.
It lets me log in as admin only, albeit very slow and haphazard. It hangs when trying to log in as the user.
Whilst logged in as admin is there any way i can access the users email and export to a .pst so i can then re-import it onto a working laptop? If i log in to the user in safe mode, then try opening outlook it comes up with an error, asking me to restart the program or reinstall.
Using Outlook 2003 on XP Pro SP2 laptop.
Thanks for any help offered :)

Just browse to the relevant folder in the user's Documents and Settings..

If it denies access, take ownership of the folder and subfolders.

Thanks mate, but how does that help?
Usually to have your mail settings configured on another pc you'd go into outlook itself and 'export' to a .pst file. Then 'import' that into outlook on the other pc. Thus assuming that your settings are not already exported and available.
Does that make any sense?

Did you even try it?

Wrong assumption. The export function is there because:
- you may not want to "export" everything, so you get a choice of which folders to export
- the file is locked while Outlook is running, so you can't copy it while using Outlook
- you may want to make the data accessible for other users and they can't access your docs and settings
- you may want to encrypt the data you are exporting
- 90% of users have absolutely no clue and navigating to the actual .PST file would be way beyond their capabilities

Problem is, the admin account is getting slower and slower.....and slower.
There's obviously something thats hogging the cpu and killing the chance of doing anything.
It just keeps hanging everytime i try and do something, anything!

Oddly enough, this morning i tried again and its let me get to system restore on the admin account, so i'm going to try that first, then i'll have a look at what you've suggested.
I think somewhere along the line the local profile has got corrupted.
If i can take ownership of the problematic users' docs&settings, what is your suggestion? To copy the 'Outlook' file?
Thanks for your help.

Yes, copy and import the outlook.pst file for e-mail, contacts etc.. You need all the other files in the Oitlook profile too I think..

You need to attach the user's registry to get the e-mail account data and passwords..

Ok, i managed to open his email and 'export' his settings to a .pst file, which is now on a pen drive.
Before i started this thread i gave the user another laptop and configure his pop mail account on it. So in effect he has his new email setup, i just need to give him back his contacts, messages etc etc.
IIRC if i try and import this .pst file into his new outlook, it will duplicate a load of folders. I'm sure that has happened before. I always tend to forget how to go about doing this.
Also not too sure what you mean about attaching his registry settings. The old laptop has about had it, i don't reckon i'll get anything else out of it tbh. It just freezes all the time.
So an eejits guide would always be welcome :D
.....and i got swollen gums :(

IIRC you can select which folders to import.. Also, you can import below a specific folder. So you could create a folder "oldsettings", import everything below that and then move stuff to their right places, deleting unneeded crap.

yeah, lol, tbh, i think thats what i normally do, although I'm sure there's a better way. I've done these loads of times, but because its so infrequently, i never remember how i did it the previous time. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back