expresscard video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerguy53

my laptop computer has an expresscard slot and i was wondering if there are any video cards that fit into an expresscard slot?

IDK :(.Most video cards are for standard desktop computers, with AGP, PCI, or PCI-E slots.

VERY FEW laptops except high end gaming laptops which cost 1 child put into indentured servitude have expandible video cards.

Express card slots and PCMIA slots are mainly used for memory cards, additional USB cards and the like.

As far as desktops go graphics cards are designed for the following types of slots (in order of ancientness)

1. ISA (REALLY OLD and obsolete)
2. PCI (Almost Obsolete)
3. AGP (outdated but still quite usable)
4. PCI-E (PCI-Express) Newest
5. PCI-E 2 (coming soon)

Uhm.. Those are TV tuners!

Now, I have seen USB and ExpressCard video output devices, but they are slow as hell and most certainly no upgrade from your integrated video.

I'm also pretty sure that they need Windows drivers to operate and you wouldn't be able to use them as primary video devices.

there are docking stations that will take a PCI-E video card and connect via the expresscard slot, i know of one Asus said they were developing, however i don't know if it exists as of yet..

I've seen three so far:

Belkin High Speed Express Dock

Targus ExpressCard Notebook Docking station

and, VillageTronic has announced the ViDock Gfx which is due to ship in the first quarter of 2008. It is claims to be the most capable of the expresscard video docks, with two independent video outputs. (DVI+VGA, or 2xDVI-I/VGA in the higher end model), however, it only offers video.

The Targus and Belkin offer USB, Ethernet (a SLOW ethernet port), audio, and one video output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back