External DVD/cd rom drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible for an external DVD/CD rom drive, to boot CDs such as System restore discs?? my cd/dvd drive on my laptop is broken so i need an alternative to use my system restore disc on when my laptop have viruses or errors so was wandering if an external dvd/cd drive conected by USB can still boot CDs when starting up the laptop??

If you can detect a USB device in the boot list of the bios, you can do this. Most older systems won't do this though. Do you have a restore utility in the Control Panel?

I recently worked on a Sony Vaio Laptop. It did have a restore utility that allowed me to "restore" the laptop to it's original factory state. The motherboard and CD R/W were toast. I'm still waiting on a replacement CD R/W...

You may be able to find just a plain CD for your model, and use it temporarily to reinstall your OS, apps and drivers. I have a IBM notebook CD R/W, but it's interface is different than the Sony, That's one thing about laptops/notebooks... They are all diferent!

yeah i used my bro's OS disc werent sure if it would work well since its used for his custom CPU, i was able to format the hardrive with it and install windows/drivers. i think would probably need to get a new integrated cd drive now thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back