External Harddrive Files Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Maxtor One external harddrive on which I store my graphic images. When I started my pc today, the shortcut to my external harddrive was missing. When I tried to open the file, it was empty. Also, this drive was entitled "H Drive" and now it says "I drive."

Thank you so much for your help.

Cindy

*Windows XP

Have you added a new hard drive, cd rom, or dvd rom recently? Or perhaps a flash or pen drive?
All of those could be the reason for the drive letter changing. Have you tried to use explorer to find the missing files?
If you want to stop this happening in the future you can manually set the drive letter. Let me know if you want help doing that.

Hope that helps. Rik.

Thank you so much for your response, Rik.

No, I haven't added anything at all.

I tried searching for it, but I can't seem to find it.

I so appreciate your help. I was in the midst of backing up these files, but there were so many that I hardly put a dent in it. I'll feel devastated if I've lost these! I so hope you can help me!

Thank you again!

Cindy

If you have "my computer" on your desktop, right click on it, select manage, storage, disk management, and see if you can see it there. If u can see it then u may just need to reassign the drive letter to it by right clicking on it.

If thats no help then let me know and i will do my best to help further. Rik.

I see the C drive and I drive, but when I try to explore the I drive, I get message, "cannot open...parameters incorrect."

Not really sure what I'm supposed to see...I don't see my external harddrive anywhere, but it does seem to be working (the blue light on it is still blinking).

Thanks again!

Cindy

rik said:
If you have "my computer" on your desktop, right click on it, select manage, storage, disk management, and see if you can see it there. If u can see it then u may just need to reassign the drive letter to it by right clicking on it.

If thats no help then let me know and i will do my best to help further. Rik.

What is your I drive, is it a hard drive? And i assume your external drive is usb?

If its usb then you should see it labled as a "mass storage device".

If you want you can comtact me on messenger or skype by searching for rikperrem@hotmail.com.

Its chucking it down outside so im not going anywhere for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back