External HDD fails to install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Please help me to install my HDD.

I have purchased a Samsung HDD (Model No MP0603H), 60GB, 5400 rpm, 8M, PATA. I want to install it using USB HDD case to my laptop (IBM R32, 40GB, 256 MB RAM). The OS in Windows 2000 Professional SP4.

When I connect the HDD through USB, it is detected as a USB device in the task menu but with an error. WHen I try to trouble shoot (Reinstall driver), it detects USB.INF as the correct driver for it, but when I finish the task, I get the following error message: "An error occured during the installation of this device. The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for the device".

The device is also not being detected in Computer MAnagement.

Please tell me how to go about it.

Many thanks
mohandeepak66

More exclamation marks do not make people want to help you more, quite the opposite.

Have you used any other USB storage devices or similar with that laptop?
Try uninstalling all USB devices from Device Manager and reboot to have them installed.

Installing the latest motherboard drivers can't hurt either.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My USB Memory stick works fine. And so does my digital camera. Its just the HDD which is not getting detected.

How would I know which driver to install for my motherboard?

mohandeepak66 :bounce:

This is an enclosure that does not need a power supply and draws its power from the USB port? It may be that your laptop just can't supply the power needed through the USB port.

I dont think there is a problem with either the case or the HDD. Today I connected it to my friend's laptop (OS - Windows XP Home Edition) and I was able to install it. But when I reconnected it to my laptop (IBM R32, WIn 2k SP4), it failed to detect it again. I think there is some problem with the driver. I copied all the drivers (*.INF and *.SYS) beginning with USB to my computer (WINNT\System32\driver folder), but it did not work.

Any ideas? I am at my wits end!

mohandeepak66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back