External USB Drive Keeps changing boot sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently installed an external USB Hard Drive to a clients pc and it worked beautifully straight away and continued working with absolutely no problems for 4 days. Then the client phoned and said that he was getting an error message when trying to boot saying that NTLDR was missing. I went there and found, as I suspected, the boot order did not indicate the C: drive first but surprisingly the USB External drive.

I changed it back and rebooted several times and everything worked fine. I left him and did not hear from him again for another 4 or 5 days. Now he has phoned me again to say that the same thing has happened. If he starts the pc without the External Drive connected everything is fine and then connects the External drive after boot everything is fine but his dial up connection bombs out and he has to reboot to be able to dial out. I have a feeling that this is a separate issue all together but have not seen it for myself so not sure.

My question is why does the CMOS boot order keep changing every other day or so. He swears that he is not changing anything nor is he removing anything so I have no idea what is happening.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Regards
Floydiane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back