Extra Sata Drive hangs system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I really need some advise on sata drives and drivers.
I've installed a Maxtor 160GB sata HD at first onto a Giga Byte 7N400 pro MB with 512 Kingston value ram and a AMD XP2400 CPU.
I'm running on XP Pro SP1
Recently I bought a seagate 200GB and installed it, but have no desire to run a raid array.
However the drive reads fine, a scan for bad sectors took some time, but when you move information to the drive; it starts then stop for some time, carry on again and keep repeating the process till it just freeze the system.
After resetting the system, there is some information in but usually about 30-50% of the original file size I dragged and dropped.
I've returned the drive once and got another one but no change.
They are apparently from redundant systems

Sata

I've tried the disk on a server, no problem. I don't plan on using this in an raid array. I dont believe that my system can't handle the disk. Even installing it as the primary disk it only installs up to 11% of XP pro before hanging the system.

I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but I have dual SATAs my MSI K8T Neo 2F 939, and Windows wasn't able to recognize the drives until I installed the raid driver which came with the board. I tried the raid, but now am using each drive separately. It may not help you, but you might try the same.

You still need to install the raid drivers for you motherboard even if not raiding. Are you using the whole disc as one partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back