Extreme cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

whayt would be the best cooling for my athlon xp 3000+ i would like to overclock it to 4ghz or at leest 3.5ghz. i thought LN2 looked good i've heard dry ice is good but i'm not shure what would be the best.

You mean thermal grease? Artic Silver 3.

For heatsink and fan, get a Thermaltake 900-U and strap a good fan on like a Vantec Tornado.

no liquid nitrigen or dry ice u need a special case for that

btw i go to alot of lans so i need to move it easly and i want to beable to boot strait away, i dont want to have to wait half an hour for it to start working propely so that i can boot

Dantrag: Neither liquid nitrogen nor dry ice would be a good solution as they are both very temporary, very expensive. and very dangerous to work with.

If you are looking for stable, safe, re-usable "Extreme" cooling, there are four methods that I have seen in use most often.

Method 1 is to water cool (any water cooling kit should work) the cpu and have the water pipes externally cooled, with the radiator actively cooled.

Method 2 is to water cool the cpu with copper pipes as opposed to tubes, and run the pipes through an externally cooled source, such as a water pool that is cooled via an AC, a freezer, or a peltier.

Method 3 is to use a very high powered peltier that has the radiating end outside the PC case that is actively cooled, and possibly have the radiating end water cooled or even in a thermal unit like an enclosed AC. The problem with this method is that peltiers can produce a lot of condensation, especially in high humidity areas.

Method 4, a more clunky but effective way, is to enclose the CPU case inside of a moisture-free thermal unit that is supercooled. You can purchase filters that will remove all the moisture from the air from a unit like a small freezer, and have a shim or something over the cpu/cpu fan. This would do it, although condensation is also an issue here.

but will i beable to over clock it to 3.5ghz? and i would like the best cooling posible but i go to a lot of lans so i cant have great big things on my pc or attached to it got an idea or what about a big heatsink with a really big fan on it i know i wont beable to overclock it that mutch but would like to reach 2.4-2.5ghz or higher on an xp3000+

2.5ghz is a realistic overclocking goal for the 3000+, but 3.5ghz is most definately not. It will be extremely difficult to reach 3.5ghz with a self contained unit that isn't bulky.

2.5ghz could be done with probably fairly simple cooling, nothing fancier then maybe a lightweight peltier or a beefy HSF combo.

I'm running an Athlon XP 1700+ with 'standard' copper heatsink and fan, overclocked to 2.3GHz. I'm going to try for 2.5GHz soon, as it seems pretty stable so far. I did raise the cpu vcore from 1.5v to 1.65v, but it is safe to raise it as far as 1.85v I believe. I did this today and it's the first time I tried overclocking. The cpu temps are 41*C under load (not maxed out) and 39*C idle, which seems pretty damn good. According to all SiSoft Sandra Max (latest version) benchmarks, my system is running marginally faster than Athlon XP 3200+ based system.

That 3000+ should easily hit 2.5GHz with normal cooling just as SH suggested. That should equate to around 3200+ rating, I think.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester
2.5ghz is a realistic overclocking goal for the 3000+, but 3.5ghz is most definately not. It will be extremely difficult to reach 3.5ghz with a self contained unit that isn't bulky.

I think he's reffering to the Intel's rating of the processors.

I think he means more/less 3500+. I agree, 3.5GHz... I don't even see that with extreme cooling.

Originally posted by Nic
That 3000+ should easily hit 2.5GHz with normal cooling just as SH suggested. That should equate to around 3200+ rating, I think.

3000+ = clock speed 2.17GHz
3200+ = clock speed ~2.20GHz

Also, Nic, sometimes, when I try to overclock, I only get to about 2.6GHz before I can't start and I must reset the CMOS. Does increasing the vcore voltage help fix this? (CPU 3000+ 400FSB, A7N8X Deluxe 2.0)

i've seen a lot of 3000+ and 3200+ at 3.6ghz would i beable to get to 2.8ghz with a new hsf? or higher if possible but i would like to stick to aircooling

btw could someone give a quik guide to overclocking the 3000+ i've never overclocked an amd chip before and i dont want to make the memory or pci,agp faster if possible

Originally posted by XtR-X
Also, Nic, sometimes, when I try to overclock, I only get to about 2.6GHz before I can't start and I must reset the CMOS. Does increasing the vcore voltage help fix this? (CPU 3000+ 400FSB, A7N8X Deluxe 2.0)
Yes, increasing vcore helps, but only up to a point. You also need to be careful you don't cook your cpu. I would monitor the cpu temps each time you decide to try an increase, and only increase gradually. Also, if you're managing to get close to 2.6GHz that's pretty good. I wouldn't push your cpu too much if you are happy with the performance. I'm leaving mine at 2.3GHz as it is fast enough for me and still runs cool. Overclocking does shorten the life of your cpu, but it'll be obsolete long before it dies.

As regards:
3000+ = clock speed 2.17GHz
3200+ = clock speed ~2.20GHz

I was refering to system performance, taking account of the 3200+ cpu running on a 400 MHz fsb, with the 3000+ on standard 333 MHz fsb, but overclocking the cpu to 2.5GHz. They should then be comparable. I don't know how accurate that is, but I quoted from another website, so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Dantrag: If you want to try for 3.5GHz clock, then you're gonna need a refrigeration unit, or a peltier cooler. You've got no chance of reaching that kind of overclock with standard heatsink/fan.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Heres your 'extream cooling'.......ala: VapoChill
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cas-119.html

Check out the review from TomsHardware here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030224/

Lol dude, the Vapochill is like a guy blowing on a proc compared to LN2/dry ice.

And Extreme Overclocking has a GREAT article on extreme overclocking the P4 2.4C here, with a Prometia (same concept as the Vapochill) and dry ice: http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/overclocking/Overclocking_2.4C_1.html

Actually, I purhcased an OEM 3000+ 400FSB proc. I know standardly, 3000+ is 333. I got a 3000+ 400FSB.

Originally posted by Dantrag
i've seen a lot of 3000+ and 3200+ at 3.6ghz would i beable to get to 2.8ghz with a new hsf? or higher if possible but i would like to stick to aircooling

Uhm... WHERE?

I seriously want to see where you see this aside from solutions such as LN2. A 3000+ being taken to 3.6ghz seems like a pipe dream to me.

i'm gona go for 2.6ghz maybe even more if possible
btw i'm going for a big heatsink and a good fan ln2 is a bit to much for my wallet :D

Originally posted by wicka_wicka
Lol dude, the Vapochill is like a guy blowing on a proc compared to LN2/dry ice.

And Extreme Overclocking has a GREAT article on extreme overclocking the P4 2.4C here, with a Prometia (same concept as the Vapochill) and dry ice: http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/overclocking/Overclocking_2.4C_1.html

Uh, use some commen sence.

If you are looking for stable, safe, re-usable "Extreme" cooling, there are four methods that I have seen in use most often

No point in o/c'ing for CPU only for a few minz. Not to mention hes going to lan parties. No point in bringing up LN2 cuz thats out of the question for pretty obvious reasons :zzz:

"Water cooling is silent" - sorta, cuz u got a fan or two cooling the radiator ;) But normally 120mm fans arnt too loud :)

Originally posted by XtR-X
I don't know which is the best heatsink out but I recommend the Thermaltake 900-U.

As do I. I use them myself in all systems that I build, unless I have a reason to do otherwise. One drawback is the price.

Also they have the Thermaltake SLK-900A available now. Which doesn't need to be screwed into the motherboard but instead works just like most heatsinks. They are the same price as the 900U though. The 900A also is designed to fit the motherboards that the 900U would not fit.

Thats not really exteam cooling tho ;) Nor will he reach what he wants with that HS either. Not to mention, if he even wanted to come close, he'd need a very powerful, yet noisy fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back