Extremely peculiar problem with my CD r/w drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousguy44

I've got a 48 X 16 X 48 CD r/w drive (I forget the make) on my Win98SE machine. It plays music and reads/writes disks properly--except for the Goback 3 Deluxe CD I bought new 3 years ago. The drive simply will not recognize that disk in any way, will not respond to Windows explorer, etc. Nor will the drive recognize the disk if I start my machine up with a DOS disk with CD support. But the disk *is* readable on another Win98SE machine I have.

ADD'L DATA: I am trying to re-install this software because I had to buy a new HD after a crash. I also had to buy an ATA card of some sort to drive the disk, but the CD drive is still cabled to the motherboard as it was originally.

I've tried the CD with both the Master and C/S jumper settings, and it works the same in both configs.

There is clearly something about the combination of this drive and this disk that is unacceptable to my machine. But what??? I sure can't figure it out.

If you can figure it out, you are entitled to call yourself a first-rate hardware guru. And you may help me save what little of my sanity I have left! <g>

There can be small marks that affect the correct read of media on different Roms .
Try to copy that disk on the machine that reads it and load from the copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back