Extremely Slow boot....several hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people have talked about boot times of 3 minutes or more but I have a very unusual problem. My PC (1.8gz P4) hangs at the bios flash screen for minutes upon minutes and takes HOURS to reboot but then comes up and works fine. My best guess it's a memory or battery issue but I don't know how to get rid of the flash screen to acutally see what's going on and I can't find the motherboard manual. (Due to the time it spends at the flash screen I don't think it's a windows issue.) Also this started a few weeks ago and I didn't change anything hardwarewize.
Any idea?? It might be time to just spend the $$$ and replace it.
Thanks!

If its a bios battery problem then the time and date should be wrong. Also, download speedfan from the downloads section as it can read bios battery voltage.

Thanks Rik! I tried the program and it verified that everything looked good. I then remembered that I might be wrong about not adding anything as I remembered that several weeks ago I bought a memory card reader and I had read stuff about conflicts causing slow boot (but never HOURS.) For giggles I unplugged it and tried a reboot and sure enough it came up quickly. The odd thing is the disk reader works just fine.

Thanks again!

In BIOS settings, see if Removable Device is set as the first boot option. If so change it to HD 1st, and then CD Rom 2nd.

i had this problem before. The problem i had was My harddrive slowly dying and when it was sloying dying load itmes were affected greatly.

My guess is and don't quote me on this, is that its ur Hardrive is acting sluggish and is giving away. Try using speedfan and use it to check the Health of ur hardrive life. If both green bars are full means are ok..if one of them is not full then u got a problem. As i said don;t quote me on this..this is a simlar problem i had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back