Extremely slow, WinXP startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
i got some trouble, a HDD died on me a couple of days ago and I tried to recover it, but everything failed. Ever since I experienced these probs, my WinXp takes like 15 to 20 min to finally start up and even then it is extremely slow.
I cleaned out the startup (msconfig) ran virus scans, ran spybot search and destroy, killed adware, everything, even hijackthis did't come up with anything. So it's got to be something else.
Could it be, some programm installed on the broken HDD is searched for and not found? Or might Win be damaged?, it's on an other drive, but who knows....
Is there a programm that tells me where all my programms are installed? I don't wanna take hours to check out every single path.
Got any other great ideas on how to fix this?

my guess is its the harddrive dying. are you booting off the same hard drive? if so, download the diagnostic tool from your manufacturers website, and check for SMART failures. (or use speedfan to check)

It's not the same hard drive. The other harddrive has died completely. The other harddrive has two partitions, a small one for win and a large one for the rest. I ran the diagnostics tool (for the broken one) all programms on the other HDD work, they are just extremely slow.

maybe a defrag is needed. i've been having slow hd problems as well, and i'm running a defrag now, it should help.

May be a defrag could help, but I never had the system THAT slow, it takes minutes to do anything. right click on desktop: 2-3 min till menu opens, My Computer: 10 min etc

Reason I said SMART failure is because when it happened to me (smart failure), it would run slow as well. Maybe you have spyware/virus. Follow the instructions given here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html, and make a new thread in the Security and Web section (or maybe a mod'll move this thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back