Extremely weird video card issue (ATI Radeon X800)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzumebachi

I'm having a really bizarre problem. I'm not sure which forum to post in, because I'm not even sure where the root of the problem really is. But I guess I'll start here. I've been having problems with one of my computers for a couple of weeks now. I put it together out of some spare parts to be used for photography purposes (ie: scanning, editing). It works fine except for an extremely weird problem with the video card. For one thing, it appears exactly 8 times in the device manager and in system information; even after a fresh format and reinstall of Windows. But the worst part is this: if I attempt to install the manufacturer drivers (ATI Catalyst) the computer will blue screen on bootup until I do a system restore. As a result, I'm pretty much stuck with generic Windows display drivers, which are extremely slow. I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. I don't know if it's the video card, or the motherboard, or the drivers. All of them have worked fine in the past. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Chaintech VNF3-250
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Memory: 1GB Corsair DDR400
Video: ATI Radeon X800 AGP

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back