Extremly Low Fps In all games (both online/offline)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There I am. Happily playing cs 1.6..and then HL2 comes out. So I get a ATI Radeon 9800 XT so i can play it. Well it was all well and good for a couple months and after I beat HL2 I moved on to console gaming for a month or so.

A friend comes over. He wants to play HL2 so I let him. As soon as it started i could tell there was a problem. It was really jerky and slow as he went into areas that required high ghraphical capabilities(gun fights, some parts of city 17, basically any place with alot of things going on.) It was almost impossible to play the game. So my friend stopped playing and left after a while. I decide to play cs 1.6. When i go into the game it is the same problem. My ping is fine but my fps is horrendous (5-30 fps). And for the hell of it i try cs:s. I get 3-10 fps. I also noticed that when i tryed to do a warcraft 3 defence map it slows down alot (on account of all the units on screen i think.)

So now i know there is a problem. I run ad-aware, spybot, anti virus stuff. I clean up my computer. Kill two viruses and erradicate and spyware. But the problem still remains. I update the drivers for the grfx card, doesnt help.

I decide to get my brother to try helping me. He decides to make sure the ATI card and motherboard(we had to get a new one for the card to fit) were installed properly. As soon as he takes the cover off a bunch of hot air blows into his face. So he checks the fps on cs 1.6 again...Well it helped a little bit but not much. The fps rose from 5-30 to 20-35....Great.

My brother takes out and puts back in both the card and motherboard but that doesnt help either. Im stumped. Why would my games suddenly become extremely slow and basically useless? Its not a virus. Not spyware. Not a bad installation job. What the hell could it be?

Someone help me!

My computer specs:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB
512 mb's of ram
60 GB Hard drive

Hope I made this post in the right place and in the right way! Thanks in advance for any tips or thoughts. :bounce:

Update windows drivers? latest patches? Direct X version? Video card drivers? Video card/game settings on max maybe? 512 mb is almost bare minimum for any 3d games nowadays.

Prob

You mentioned hot air coming out from the case. Are all of your fans working, as well as the card's fan?

I have everything updated. I have Direct X 9. My game settings are on the lowest possible level. All my fans are working (i have 2 internal ones but i brought down a large house fan to blow air into the open case.) I seem to have done pretty much everything other than reformat.

I've got almost the exact same problem.

Ever since I bought a new Logitech mouse for gaming (Logitech Mx518) any game I try to play is jerky and low in fps. I've ran anti-virus, adaware, Dell pc check up, and "flashed" my bios. I've also uninstalled programs I don't use and did an overall cleanup of my computer.

I used to be able to play any online game just fine, but now I can't even play the simplest of them.

I have a..

Dell Inspiron 8600
Intel Pentium M processor 1.4 Ghz
512 RAM

I know what you're thinking as you read this.. by far not the right machine for gaming, but seriously, it used to play games flawlessly.

Can anyone give me some advice?

(don't mean to steal the topic, just thought since I have the exact same issue that I'd keep it all together)

check ur psu download a voltage calculator or probe and see how the power is distrubuting or even at all.

Your system and vid card are getting older so that won't help but try turning Vsync off if you haven't already.

Mr.p3ngu said:
There I am. Happily playing cs 1.6..and then HL2 comes out. So I get a ATI Radeon 9800 XT so i can play it. Well it was all well and good for a couple months and after I beat HL2 I moved on to console gaming for a month or so.

A friend comes over. He wants to play HL2 so I let him. As soon as it started i could tell there was a problem. It was really jerky and slow as he went into areas that required high ghraphical capabilities(gun fights, some parts of city 17, basically any place with alot of things going on.) It was almost impossible to play the game. So my friend stopped playing and left after a while. I decide to play cs 1.6. When i go into the game it is the same problem. My ping is fine but my fps is horrendous (5-30 fps). And for the hell of it i try cs:s. I get 3-10 fps. I also noticed that when i tryed to do a warcraft 3 defence map it slows down alot (on account of all the units on screen i think.)

So now i know there is a problem. I run ad-aware, spybot, anti virus stuff. I clean up my computer. Kill two viruses and erradicate and spyware. But the problem still remains. I update the drivers for the grfx card, doesnt help.

I decide to get my brother to try helping me. He decides to make sure the ATI card and motherboard(we had to get a new one for the card to fit) were installed properly. As soon as he takes the cover off a bunch of hot air blows into his face. So he checks the fps on cs 1.6 again...Well it helped a little bit but not much. The fps rose from 5-30 to 20-35....Great.

My brother takes out and puts back in both the card and motherboard but that doesnt help either. Im stumped. Why would my games suddenly become extremely slow and basically useless? Its not a virus. Not spyware. Not a bad installation job. What the hell could it be?

Someone help me!

My computer specs:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB
512 mb's of ram
60 GB Hard drive

Hope I made this post in the right place and in the right way! Thanks in advance for any tips or thoughts. :bounce:

Unplug USB mouse and keyboard and try using a ps2 mouse & keyboard. Or plug your logitech mouse to your ps2 port if it is compatible. See what happens.

you need to upgrade

u need to upgrade your processor i mean wth only 2.00ghz pentium get a 3.0ghz quad core and upgrade your ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back