Fable installation problems. e:\\setup.exe is not a valid win32 application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just picked up a copy of fable: the lost chapters today and when i go to install it it tells me that "e:\\setup.exe is not a valid win32 application. i have no idea what this means and its pretty annoying at this point. any help would be apprecaited. thanks guys

This error amounts to there being a problem with how the cd is mounting with Windows. The reasons why can be multiple and varied. SOME examples of problems causing this:
1) A dirty/smudged CD. Be sure to inspect the disc and make sure it has no scratches, dirt or fingerprints and clean accordingly.
2) A faulty or bad CD. Only thing here is to return to your retailer for another copy or RMA to the maker.
3) Bad, dirty or misaligned lens on the cd/dvd drive. Cleaners or new drive may be in order.
4) Old firmware/unsupported cd/dvd drive for Windows. Some older Matsu****a's and Sony cdr drives require firmware updates. You should hit the website of your cd/dvd drive and see if there are any firmware or driver updates available for it.
5) A 3rd party program is altering your cd/dvd rom operation. Things such as a Starforce protected game, Alcohol 120%, older Easy CD Creator or Nero installations, etc.etc. Uninstall or update any related software.
6) You have a beta or older version already installed. Make sure you do not have an older or beta copy of the game in question installed, and if so, uninstall prior & reboot.
7) A shortcut or file on the desktop, other drive or alternate location of the same name that is corrupt (look for a "setup.exe" on your desktop, on the root/top-level directory of any/all your drives, in Windows\Temp or Documents and Settings, currently logged in username, Local Settings, Temp.. or run the Disk Cleanup wizard + reboot if running Windows XP, etc.etc.).

There are many, many more things that can cause your symptoms, but usually it's one (or more) of the above. Good luck!

im relatively certain its none of the above because its a brand new computer i just bought today so drivers being out of date/dirty wouldnt seem feasable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back