Failed Disk(s) (40)???

Status
Not open for further replies.

young&wild

I have a problem here with my old pc (pentium1). i dismantled the whole pc and added a hard disk and some extra ram salvaged from my father's dad pc and reassembled it.

After i have checked for correct jumper settings and cable connections, i started the PC. Everything turn out to be fine, the two hdd drives and cdrom - drive were detected....until a message "Failed Disk(s) (40)" appeared on the screen.

Anyone has a clue about this peculiar quote?

Forgive me for the late reply. I just completed my 'O'-Levels mock exams and my net connection has been bad for the past several weeks.

I have found out the cause of the message. The "Swap Floppy Drive" was enabled in the BIOS, once it was disabled the message disappeared. But now, the floppy disk LED is on and will not disappear. Is my floppy drive dead?

Alas, try turning only one end around, usually the floppy end. The light should go out then. Also check for a bend pin if flipping the cable doesn't work....had that happen to me a long time ago....

Well, after several attempts to connect the cable in a correct way, the LED finally disappeared. Thanks for the intructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back