Fan Monitoring Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didou

I'm using a Papst fan ( 8412NM ) on my Alpha 8045 & tonight, my system shut down for no reason. When I powered it back up, it started beeping so I shut it down straight away. Upon inspecting the inside, everything seemed fine so I decided to power it up again.

I was taken straight to the monitoring section of the BIOS where the "CPU FAN RPM" was flashing in red, & by all means it should be since it was reporting 0 RPM. The wierd thing is that the fan is actually running as it always does. CPU temp is the same. It just stopped reporting the RPMs for some reason.

I tryed plugging it to different FAN plug on the mainboard ( CASE FAN, PSU FAN, etc ) but still no RPMs. I don't really feel like buying another one ( 20€ ) & this one is no longer under warranty.:rolleyes:

Any ideas on this situation ?

PS. I checked the wires on the fan & all three seem normal. None are disconnected.

I think the fan is definitely the problem, since the system board doesn't recognize any RPM signal out of any of the plugs. Just to make sure plug a different fan in and see if the sysbo recognizes any signal. More likely it is than it isn't the RPM monitoring function on the fan.

If your system can't run w/o the RPM monitoring from the CPU fan than you might have to plug the fan from your active northbridge cooling, if you have any, into there, or a case fan or smth. Then just plug your Papst into any of the other plugs.

You haven't the slightest what could have caused this?

BTW, how old is the fan?

Ah another thing - you could try swapping out the 3k RPM fan from Munch w/ your current one, because that old system board probably doesn't even support RPM monitoring.

Just a thought, for a last resort.

The 3K RPM fan from Munch is a 60*60*25. Definitly won't work with the 8045. It's definitly the fan that has a problem since I plugged in one of the case fans & did get a RPM reading.

/me puts a Papst fan on his XMas present list ;)

I have the same issue Didou - sometimes I would get a 0 RPM reading from my CPU fan. I threatened my current fan by purchasing a replacement fan and putting the box on top of the case - I haven't had a problem with the original one since then! I just let it know that it was gone if it gave me anymore problems. That's what you need to do, talk to your computer parts - no one will think you strange, really.

LNCPapa

That's therapy for Sissys.:D

I know how I'm going to handle this.

/me takes a Red Hot Poker...

Bwahahahahahaha !!! :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back