Fan problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. This is my first venture in here. Patience please.I added a second 160 GB hard drive as a slave in a Compacq presario S4000/SX. The fan was caked with dirt and dust so I removed it for cleaning being careful to stay grounded. (ground sourse: power supply) I reinstalled the fan and finished connecting the hard drive. ( Make: Maxtor ATA/100 ). I turned on the power,The keyboard flickered and nothing! The power light on the computer was on but upon looking inside I noticed the fan was not running..
Turn computer off now! Any ideas why the fan should quit? Extreme care was utilized during installition. Am I correct in thinking that of course the computer won't boot because no fan, much heat on CPU?

Suggestions please.........

Welcome to Techspot new member!

What FAN?

CPU FAN
PSU FAN
GPU FAN
HDD FAN

Which one.. CPU FAN do go bad and stop, or it could be a temp sensor not working or it could be that the CPU FAN connector on the MOBO (motherboard) has become loose.

PSU (power supply fan can go bad and the fan can be replaced. They use 80mm case fan, well most use that and some use 120mm, but that depends on what you have not working there...

It could be a heat-sensitive fan that doesn't spin when there is no need to..

Does the fan work normally when you disconnect the hard drive and let the system get a little warmer?

The system was unplugged. Power light comes on, but fan desn't come on.
The fan is for the heat sink on the CPU I think. Should I put a meter on the PSU ? What should my readings be? By the way . "Thanks for the help!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back