Fans connected to motherboard won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mica3speedy

A friend of mine switched his system to a new case. Now the system powers up but the fans connected to the motherboard won't work. I've tried to plug the chassis fan into another plug on the motherboard, it still won't work. The cpu fan won't work either. After looking over everything, I noticed he didn't put spacers under the motherboard and screwed it directly to the chassis, so I'm thinking he may have shorted out something by doing so. I have since put spacers underneath. I thinking of having him get some 3 pin power to 4-pin power adapters that will allow us to hook the fans directly the power supply:
http://www.outletpc.com/c6717.html

What do you guys suggest? Any other suggestions would be helpful as well

Take it apart and start over. It is probably grounding out. Could have some damage, or it could be just fine. Sometimes the power supply will not even work if it detects a grounding problem. This is definitely a severe boo boo.

I have to agree with Charles Hammond. If you are really lucky there is no serious damage. Shorting the board to ground like that is not good. If no fans were runing you might want to look at the CPU. They overheat very fast without a fan. Hope you can salvage it.

u say ur the fans wont work

u say ur the fans wont work, b4 u assume the board was shorted, have u simply checked ur BIOS settings to make sure ur fans are enabled, make sure they are not locked, may have something to do with default mobo fan settings, or Q-Fan control, I have these options on my Asus P5W DH Deluxe Mobo, and i had a problems after installing an additional fan along with bad cpu and mobo temperatures, i used bios to enable the fan, and then turned of Q-Fan control (this allowed my fans to run much faster with RPMs hitting watever speed they needed to for maintaining great temps)

couldn't find anything in the bios to enable the fans. The motherboard is an Asus p4s333. Tomorrow I'm going to try to upgrade to the latest version of the bios.

if your motherboard has smart fan technology, the fans will not turn on until high temps are reached. Check the BIOS.

It doesn't take much to burn out a CPU. AMD processors seem to burn out much easier without a fan than the Intel processors do but they too burn out. It is also not unheard of that when a board gets shorted out, you may only loose a section of the board, not the entire board. You may want to try another processor if you have an extra kicking about, and connect the fans using the four pin PS connectors instead of the three pin headers on the MB. You might have a "CPU Fan Alarm" in the BIOS to disable if you do this. Once you have your fans and a good CPU, you should be able to determine if the MB is still usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back