Far Cry 5's first artwork suggests the game will prove controversial among some groups

midian182

Staff member

Earlier this week we got our first teaser trailer for the fifth installment of the Far Cry series. It was rumored that the game would be set in Wild West-era Montana, but while the setting was right, the time period was way out.

Set in the fictional Hope County, Far Cry 5 has left the Mesolithic period seen in last game and returned to modern times. Judging from the title's first artwork, it could feature another sinister yet charismatic villain in the same vein as previous Far Cry antagonists Pagan Min and Vaas Montenegro.

The Last Supper-style picture also suggests that Far Cry 5 could garner some controversy. There’s a strong suggestion that as the hero of the game, you’ll be facing some kind of religious militia group. The central, Christ-like figure sitting at the center of the table is surrounded by plenty of automatic weapon-toting, dog tag-wearing, survivalist types, though the woman with flowers in her hair is an exception (as is the painted wolf).

More hints at the religious element of the group include the bound man on the floor with the words “sinner” wrote, or carved, into his back. There’s also a goblet of wine, a piece of bread, and what could be a bible on the table, while a church stands in the background.

You might notice the Nazi-style Iron Cross that replaces the stars on the American flag draped over the table. A flag bearing the same symbol flies above the stars (crosses?) and stripes next to the church. There’s also a couple of planes flying in the background – suggesting the game will feature them as playable vehicles, expanding on previous entries’ gyrocopters, wingsuits, and hang gliders.

As much as I loved all the previous Far Cry titles, I wasn’t enamored with Far Cry Primal, and am glad to see the series return to guns, vehicles, and psychopathic yet charming bad guys. It’ll be interesting to see how much criticism the game takes from those with certain political viewpoints, but it’s something Ubisoft will doubtlessly be expecting.

We’ll learn more about Far Cry 5 at E3 next month.

Permalink to story.

"...with the words “sinner” wrote, or carved, into his back." It's wrote.

Looks like you might be able to fly planes in it.

Also, Doggie just wants the steak :3

Turns out you can tell a lot from a teaser trailer:

The publisher on Monday released a teaser trailer on YouTube introducing what appears to be where the game’s action will play out – Hope County, Montana. In typical teaser fashion, it’s difficult to gauge a whole lot from the trailer although ringing the church bell with a guy’s head is noteworthy.

Christian cultists running a cult do cult things and the main character has to stop them because religion is bad.

It’ll be interesting to see how much criticism the game takes from those with certain political viewpoints, but it’s something Ubisoft will doubtlessly be expecting.

FC5 will be a progressive power fantasy where a virtuous and open minded hero overcomes closed minded religious bigots who believe that white cis-hetero tradlife is right.

They aren't even attempting to allude to the political statement being made this time around.

Edit: Going to make another prediction. The sinner in the teaser image, he's gay. That's why they've got him tied up and cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL .... "certain political viewpoints"? I'm guessing first of all will be all those that think video games are the source of all evil, aggressive behavior and violence in America. Hell, we grew up slaughtering cows and pigs with blood flying everywhere and the only time I get aggressive is when there's only one last strip of bacon on the plate!

I find it amazing that some people even notice details like this. If no one points them out to me, I wouldn't even notice. I guess I'm just immune to, or cognizant of subliminal advertising. If you search for the devil, you'll find him everywhere.

If it's what we think it is - one of those extremist sovereign nation religious groups - then I love the concept.

Something that's completely different than the "nut job in the jungle" and in line with what's happening today, but everyone wants to sweep under the rug as an embarrassment.

If it's what we think it is - one of those extremist sovereign nation religious groups - then I love the concept.

Something that's completely different than the "nut job in the jungle" and in line with what's happening today, but everyone wants to sweep under the rug as an embarrassment.

True. Its much more compelling to invent a fantasy pseudo-Christian cult than just use Muslim extremists as the bad guys..we get to see *that* real-world insanity on the news every day. Well, we did until the media started censoring and whitewashing it...kind of like Crytek is doing with this game.

I am pretty sure hope county is either based off my home county of Flathead or could be Gallatin. Flathead make's sense and we do have that alt right leader up here. Ohh well guess it will be fun to run around my home town killing and what not.

True. Its much more compelling to invent a fantasy pseudo-Christian cult than just use Muslim extremists as the bad guys..we get to see *that* real-world insanity on the news every day. Well, we did until the media started censoring and whitewashing it...kind of like Crytek is doing with this game.

It would be fantastically cool if someone made a Total War faction mod that adds jihadis. At the start of every battle, they all blow up.

Ohh well guess it will be fun to run around my home town killing and what not.

futuramafry.jpg

Back