Far Cry 5's first DLC takes place during the Vietnam war

midian182

Staff member

Far Cry 5 has been out for a couple of months, so by now you’ve probably seen most of what it offers and been disappointed by those endings. But don’t remove it from your Steam library just yet: the game’s first piece of DLC is set to arrive on June 5, and it’s set during the Vietnam War.

Hours of Darkness casts you in the role of Wendell “Red” Redler, who appeared in one of the main game’s side quests—What They Carried—which tasks players with finding the 12 Vietnam lighters scattered across Hope County.

In the DLC, Redler goes up against the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army in the war-torn country’s jungles as he tries to locate and rescue his squad mates, Rambo style. Being a teaser, the trailer doesn’t reveal too much, but a change in location and time period is interesting. There will be “new gear and abilities,” including an M60 machine gun and a Vietnam-era M16, both of which can be used in the base game. There’s also an ability called “Survival Instinct” that rewards stealthy kills, and players can call in airstrikes on enemies.

Most DLCs tend not to be very long, but it sounds like Hours of Darkness will have some replay value. Once you complete the story, two new modes will open up: Survivor, which makes things a lot harder by removing most of your equipment, and “Action Movie,” which allows you to carry more weapons and gives players better airstrikes.

If you want to check out elements of the DLC before its release, "Vietnam-themed" assets are now available to use in the Far Cry Arcade.

Those who haven’t splashed out on a season pass can get Hours of Darkness for $11.99 when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

Permalink to story.

I miss the days when you could buy the game and play it without all the constant nickle & dime add-ons as well as the other marketing BS.

I miss the days when you could buy the game and play it without all the constant nickle & dime add-ons as well as the other marketing BS.
That game is called Far Cry 5. It's a complete game with a 20+ hour campaign and arcade mode for some quick replay-ability. I enjoyed it immensely and will replay the campaign on co-op when my friend gets it this summer.

Last I checked, most expansion packs from "The Golden Era" had a price tag.

I'm having fun with Far Cry 5. Is it going to win the Pulitzer Prize for writing? Is it going to win Game of the Year for best ending? Most likely not. But it keeps me busy, graphics are awesome and it's a Far Cry game for crying out loud - what do you expect?

Looking forward to this upcoming DLC for sure.

I'm having fun with Far Cry 5. Is it going to win the Pulitzer Prize for writing? Is it going to win Game of the Year for best ending? Most likely not. But it keeps me busy, graphics are awesome and it's a Far Cry game for crying out loud - what do you expect?

The big issue I saw with the reviews is that people's expectations for the story were much different than what they reviewed based on the setting and the cult. That's not how reviews should work - the story is the developer's.

I gorged on the game post release and got a little fatigued by the end game. This was my fault as I could have slowed down and enjoyed it a bit more but weirdly couldn't put it down. It was pure Far Cry and I love the formula. I think I will enjoy it as much or more the second time around.

I don't remember Jack Carver being a philosopher :D

Back