FAT 32 or NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techsprog

Hi All,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. I am contemplating changing my file sytem from FAT 32 to NTFS. (Windows XP Home) mainly to overcome the file size restriction in video editing. I have read the advice and recommendations on the Elder Geek's Web Site and taken it to heart. However, from experience, does anyone know of any problems in changing an existing FAT 32 system to NTFS when files are already loaded onto the hard disk. Hope this makes sense.

Rgds

You should be able to convert the partition(s) to NTFS without problems from command prompt by typing

convert c: /FS:NTFS

Of course, substitute c: with the partition you want to convert.

Just one thing - do not convert your windows boot partition to NTFS after windows has been installed, because it won't work after that!

On the rest of the partitions, go for for it!

Also, after the conversion, disable Disk indexing service.

Thanks guys - your advice is noted and I intend to hang on for a while before going ahead with the conversion. Thanks again
Rgds.

kodrutz said:
Just one thing - do not convert your windows boot partition to NTFS after windows has been installed, because it won't work after that!

It will work just fine. Well, unless you go converting your Windows 98 partiton :p

Look HERE for instructions on converting fat/fat32 to ntfs.

I have done this several times, and have never had any problems.

It will work just fine. Well, unless you go converting your Windows 98 partiton

Ha ha. very funny Nodsu lol.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back