FAT or NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there all,

I would be interested to here views on which file system to chose when installing XP2 given the following PC spec.

AMD AthlonXP 2500+, Maxtor 120gb HDD, 1.5gb RAM

Any thoughts or experiences would be most appreciated.

First, willkommen to this PERFECT forum (don't worry, i'm not a mod :D )
Second, regarding your question, it depends. In other words, NTFS, i guess, doesn't have anything related to PCs specs, nor does FAT.
But there're differencies and benefits in using NTFS.
In NTFS, you can have a partition size > 32 GBs (as far as i remember) and its max. size is limited by your HDD itself :D, whereas in FAT32, partition size can't exceed this 32 gigs. You can have a file size more than 4 GBs, but in FAT32, the maximum size for ONE FILE is 4 GBs and you can't exceed it.
In NTFS, you have some files' security by their encryption and also you have a built-in compression for your files if you like.

My opinion: Make some partitions FAT32 and few NTFS or only one if you like, because you don't need to make them all NTFS and in case you install another OS, (older one SPECIFICALLY) NTFS might not be readable, whereas FAT32 is readable...

no brainer- NTFS. It can handle bigger files, compression, encryption, and larger hard drives, plus it has the the ability for the OS to organize files by access attempts.

NTFS is faster compaired to FAT and FAT 32 and like Tedster it can handel more bigger files compaired to FAT and FAT 32 and has compressions and encryption so NTFS is the way to go plus most computers have the NTFS system anyway

Actually - NTFS isn't usually faster than FAT32, but is still superior in most other aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back