Favorites in IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshields13

I recently had to install a new hard drive because my old one was defective. Windows XP has been reinstalled and all updates downloaded. Everything I needed to reinstall has been installed successfully, except for my favorites folder. I copied my favorites from a floppy to the favorites folder in Windows Explorer and they all show up there. They are also there when I click on "Favorites" on the tool bar at the top of Windows Explorer. My problem is that they do NOT show up when I click on favorites in Internet Explorer!! Can someone suggest what I need to do to make them appear. Thanks!!

Did you copy them into the proper directory?
\Documents and Settings\{your username}\Favorites

You may have copied them as sub-directories of the (installed) Favorites.

Exactly....keep in mind that with XP and W2K, personal settings and folders such as My Documents and Favorites are all a subset of the individual profiles.

I am the only user on my computer. The favorites are in the right place. I also added them to "All Users", but they still do not show up in Internet Explorer.

Open up IE. On the left top, click on Files, then on Import and Export... and follow the Wizard.

If you get double entries, empty the whole Favorites folder under your [username]. Then do the same thing again and import them from "All users". Afterwards, you can empty the "All users"

Thanks. I'm still having a problem. I'm getting a message that they are not valid files. I will copy them again on Monday and try again. Am I correct in that I have to copy the individual files as opposed to coping the folders?

An alternative (and much better if you re-install regularly) would be to move your Favorites to another partition or harddisk.
Copy the Favorites folder from its current [user] location to the new location (you can rename it there if you like).
Using Start/Settings/Control Panel/TweakUi (download from MS-website if you don't have it), go to the tab "My Computer". Underneath the window is a heading Special Folders. Select "Favorites" and then select "change location". Say Yes . Browse to your new location and click OK or Apply.
Not sure if it works immediately or if you have to logoff/logon first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back