Favourite FTP Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like CuteFTP but currently am using FlashFXP. Flash has a lot more options than Cute, but its a bit more complitated to use.

I've been using CuteFTP for the past couple of years, have tried a few other programs too but I'm extremely used to Cute; I don't do much stuff other than uploading/downloading files, so... not that I could tell the difference really.

Over the years, I've tried many different ones. Though Flash FXP is one of the best currently available.

I used Smart FTP for a while until Flash FXP released a version that would run in XP. It was pretty good but I prefer Flash

It all depends on what you wish to do. I am assuming that you are just wanting to transfer files from some server to your computer. Just about any program will do that, but if you want to transfer files between 2 diff servers then FlashFXP is the best. I use FXP all the time anyway, but it is all in the user. Just pick one that you like.

Way back in the day, I used WS_FTP, and sometimes still do... (It's on my critical util cd...)

But usually, and preferably, I use .... wait for it... <que drumroll> Smart FTP :D

It has all the features I need, quite a lot I don't need, and best of all, it's free :)

Just wanted to add my .02$ since there seemed to be a majority for Flash... ;)

OK - This might seem like a silly question, but what actually is FTP???

Ok, so its File Transfer protocol (is it????)

But what is it????

Is it like Kazaa or Newsgroups???

Is it any good???

Does it work???

Will it pay the rent???

Well first things first, in able to use an FTP there must be a FTP Daemon (server) running somewhere so you can access it.

Basically the server is setup to allow people (friends, yourself, etc) to access certain files designated on that computer. Like Phantasm said in this thread he uses it to access files he has stored at work. This way you don't have to burn things to CD or put them on floppy, you can just log into that server using the FTP program of your choice.

Maybe someone else can explain it better, but if you have any questions post back and we'll sort them out.

Originally posted by RustyZip
OK - This might seem like a silly question, but what actually is FTP???

Ok, so its File Transfer protocol (is it????)

FTP (File Transfer Protocol, as you correctly identified) is a part of the TCP/IP stack (which is a suite of protocols) and is used to transfer files to and fro between computers on TCP/IP networks. TCP/IP is the protocol suite used on the internet, and in most modern networks.

Here is a definition from www.techweb.com :

File Transfer Protocol) A protocol used to transfer files over a TCP/IP network (Internet, UNIX, etc.). For example, after developing the HTML pages for a Web site on a local machine, they are typically uploaded to the Web server using FTP.

FTP includes functions to log onto the network, list directories and copy files. It can also convert between the ASCII and EBCDIC character codes. FTP operations can be performed by typing commands at a command prompt or via an FTP utility running under a graphical interface such as Windows. FTP transfers can also be initiated from within a Web browser by entering the URL preceded with ftp://.

Unlike e-mail programs in which graphics and program files have to be "attached," FTP is designed to handle binary files directly and does not add the overhead of encoding and decoding the data.

The term is also used as a verb; for example, "let's FTP them the file." See FTP commands, anonymous FTP and TFTP.
http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm?term=FTP

Here is what an FTP client looks like:
_FTP.GIF

What's pretty neat about it is that its supported on any machine that has a TCP/IP stack... and that's just about everything these days. Thusly, one might upload files from a linux client to a windows server, or vice versa.

Mostly, your main contact will be with downloading files from an FTP server. For example, when a new version of Red Hat Linux comes out, I use an FTP client software like those ones mentioned here to connect to the server and download .iso files which have been placed there.

But its useful for me to run an FTP server at home, so I can upload and download files to and from my work machine, so if there is an mp3 that I want to listen to, I can download it or I can upload files to my home machine as well if I want.

Its possible to set up FTP so that different users have different home directories, so that I can make "virtual directories" for different people that I know, and make files I know that they might want available to them there.

One of its disadvantages is that its authentication (the tranmission of the username and password and their acceptance) is NOT encrypted, and any file in your path between the client and server machines (i.e. anything you see when you do a traceroute) is disabled.

Large servers like the one I download the Red Hat .iso files from have anonymous access enabled, and allow people to connect using a kind of "dummy" password, but at home its best to disable that before someone starts to try to hack into my system.

Any other questions post them. There's a lot more to it than that but that's the fast and dirty version....

You can connect to an ftp server in Windows or UNIX (i.e. any Linux) by using this command:

ftp server.domain.com

where server.domain.com is the full name of the server. The IP address is also acceptable....

FTP client software takes the headache out of mucking around in a command prompt by providing a graphical interface.

Thanks poertner...

So can i just search for a certain file on any server thats "open", or do i have to have an "invitation" to access a specific server??

Originally posted by RustyZip
Thanks poertner...

So can i just search for a certain file on any server thats "open", or do i have to have an "invitation" to access a specific server??

Generally speaking, you have to open a specific server. You get this kind of information on web pages and on IRC channels and newsgroups...

Thanks Phant'. Sounds a tad complicated to me.. Think i'll stick to what i know.. Thanks for the explanation though...

Actually, as usual I've been giving too much information as opposed to not enough..... ;) Its fairly easy and there's not much to it, either setting up a server or using the client. Certainly using the client is pretty simple. Its a good skill to get for yourself....

Phant it's ok. Too much information is alright sometimes.

Rusty FTP is pretty simple as long as you know the server you want to connect to.

But sometimes I feel overwhelmed like you do, but I wouldn't worry about it. When you are ready to check it out go for it, but until then don't worry too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back