Fax modem and broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peerob

Sorry for 2 questions in one day.

For a while now I have had broadband 512Mb from Tiscali. Not the best but good enough.

The issue is I also use an internal fax modem from my pc into the telephone line which is broadband enabled. If the modem is so much as plugged into the phone socket and not even working the speed of the broadband grinds almost to a halt. There is nothing wrong with the line - that's been tested. If I unplug the fax line from the telephone socket everything is ok! All the other phones in the house are pluged in and work fine.

?????? I cant do anything apart from keep the fax line unplugged. Not good for business.

Please has anyone any idea what can be the issue.

Thanks

Is this a DSL via the phone or a cable hispeed setup?
With phone-line DSL service, every analog attachment needs a special filter and
the computer com ports are analog.

I grasp at this straw as your description is real strange. There should be no
interrupt to the fax-modem port just because it is connected vs disconnected.

You might also investigate the setting which allows the modem to Wake-up on inbound calls.

jobeard said:
Is this a DSL via the phone or a cable hispeed setup?
With phone-line DSL service, every analog attachment needs a special filter and
the computer com ports are analog.

I grasp at this straw as your description is real strange. There should be no
interrupt to the fax-modem port just because it is connected vs disconnected.

You might also investigate the setting which allows the modem to Wake-up on inbound calls.
I have a cable modem with VOIP and a conventional fax modem. I have been able to use my fax ok with VOIP.

Tedster your modem /voip may already have foip capability
check this
he may not even have a standard setup
my cable connection
does not go through my voip modem it branchs off of main incoming line.I don't know if my voip does foip
his may not or may require updated pci fax/modem

with fax modems as cheap as they are - heck you can get 'em for $10 used it might be worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back