Fedora 3 ethernet/lan/network setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

deki

Hi I need help configuring LAN network modem.First of all i'm running fedora 3 on pentium 2 332mhz, it runs great , but the problem is setting up network adapter. I think that the linux does it during the boot but it can't make the eth0; to activate.I have charter h.s.i. got 348kbs which i share on the two computers, so i have to make both computers run on 10T half mode to run properly.Does anyone knows how to configure network speed/ duplex on linux fedora 3?
If this is unclear its the same thing on xp start ,right click mycomputer ,properties , hardware ,device manager, click on network adapters , highlight the name of the ethernet card, and then right click properties , advanced ,link speed/duplex mode . This is what fedora dont have or maybe i don't know how to find it, if anyone can help i would appreciate!!!?? Thank you! :suspiciou

I can't imagine where it would fit in a "proper" Fedora system configuration, but you can set speed/duplex manually by using ethtool.

On command line run "ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex half"

You can put this into the /etc/rc.local file to be run at every bootup.

If you are having problems getting your card activated, I had the same problem with a 3Com 100TX adapter which was listed as fully supported. It simply would not activate. I tried a number of things, researched theh problem for several days... I found that was not Linux savvy enough to fix the problem and switched back to Mandrake 10.1 a couple of weeks later. ;)

Fedora 3 seems pretty slick, but I wasn't the only person with that problem.

Hopefully Mic answered your other question.

linux don't recognize 'ethtool -s ' command

Nodsu --> i tried using 'ethtool ' in on the command line and the bach : dont recognize the command?

1: Obviously you have to be root to mess with network interfaces
2: You need to have the ethtool package installed
3: You may not have the sbin directories in your PATH. Try running /sbin/ethtool

found the ethtool

hi nodsu, i did like you asked
[deky@localhost~]$ /sbin/ethtool
ethtool version 1.8
Usage:
ethtool DEVNAME
ethtool -a DEVNAME
ethtool -A DEVNAME\
ethtool DEVNAME\
[speed 10|100|1000 ]\
[duplex half |full]\
[ port tp| ...... ]
this is what came up so i tryed running the same command from before:
$ ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex half but it dont recognize ethtool command.
i entered the ip adresses and default gateway manually, when the computer had detected the new hardware(linksys 100/10 t). ip 192.168.1.100(linux)
ip 192.168.1.102(xp)
On the other computer (XP) showed ip adresses conflict so i think it is connected but probably speed is great .So what the DEVNAME is and how do you execute the commands above?Thanks nodsu.

Nodsu said:
I can't imagine where it would fit in a "proper" Fedora system configuration, but you can set speed/duplex manually by using ethtool.

On command line run "ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex half"

You can put this into the /etc/rc.local file to be run at every bootup.
Thanks for the info... :) Im looking for that configuration also

I just want to clarify something in that directory u mention .Is my understanding right? I 'll run the ethtool on that directory /etc/rc. local to run the 10 Mbps full duplex in boot up?

Linux System V startup

In FedoraCore 2, the boot scripts are located in the directory
/etc/rc.d and rc.local would be stored there. There are comments in that
script that it runs after all other init scripts.

see Linux SYSTEM V initialization for an overview

You can run ethtool wherever you want - it doesn't care about filesystems. rc.local is the file where you ought to put your own things you want done at system startup. So if you want the ethtool thing done at every boot then you should edit the rc.local file to include the ethtool command.

yes, any LOCAL needs for services to be controlled at boot time real ought to be
in the /etc/rd.d/rc.local script :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back