Fedora Core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattG

Has anyone else checked out this distro? Its Red Hats newest and greatest linux. Apprently they are going to halt support on RH9 and concentrate on Fedora Core and Enterprise Edition of Red Hat. To me that sounds like a money thing there...but not to worry....Fedora Core so far seems AWESOME.

Seems seriously Stable, expandable, and just all around the better Linux Distro ive used yet...

Try it out if you havent yet.

Only down side i find...its 3 CD's.

Just looks like another RedHat to me ( I'm still using RH 9.0 ). What's so special about it ?

It basically is another RedHat. Maybe a bit less conervative since it is an "enthousiast" product and RH doesn't have to make it foolproof.

This is a dumb question - but can someone tell me the benefits you are getting from running Linux, or is it just to be familiar with another OS, or a combination of both, or some other reasons? I loive tinkering, just never got into the whole Linux thing...

Linux is a more stable OS, and you have total control over your entire OS, because its open source..if something doesnt work...program it in.

Its the best OS in my opinion right now.

Definitely a benefit having the open source...I've been toying with the ide of starting to play around with it, but I really don't have much extra time with all my OTHER projects going on...but it sounds like a lot of fun being able to tweak just about anything you wnat to...

Thanks for the reply...

It totally kicks ***.

I've decided to stop messing around with different distros and just run one linux, and to that end I've build a new machine, something along the lines of

athlon 2800 XP
1 GB RAM
COMBO DVD-ROM/CR-RW
Geforce 3 graphics
40 GB HDD

just to run Fedore Core!

I used fedora for 2 days, until the 10.0 community edition of Mandrake was released. Fedora had nice applications and a good installer, but the driver support for my nvidia chipset wasn't good enough. xmms wouldn't even play mp3's because of some legal issue. Tried for hours to fix it and had no luck. Then moved to mandrake, everything worked from the start. I think mandrake is also more user friendly for linux noobs like me.

Erick, because by defualt Fedora Core is running the 2.4 kernel...upgrade to the new 2.6.4 and you will realize you have support for your cards :)

Mandrake is a User Friendly OS, but so is Fedora Core 1, its based of Red Hat.

Matt, Mandrake 10 is running pretty stable right now, so I'll wait until the next Fedora release to give it a try. I'm not too sure I can do the kernel upgrade. I read some tutorials and it seemed to advanced for me at this point. I'm still learning how to handle rpm's and tarballs. I'll learn how to do the upgrade later on. I'm taking it one step at a time.

If you are using Mandrake 10, you do not need to do an upgrade as it allready has a 2.6 based kernel.

I think Matt was saying that you could simply do a kernel upgrade on Fedora, going from 2.4 to 2.6 & enjoy Fedora with better support for your hardware.

I'm not making the jump on the 2.6 kernel on this RH9 distro, it takes too much for it to work to be worth it ( & 2.4.25 is fast enough for me ).

Originally posted by erickdj
xmms wouldn't even play mp3's because of some legal issue. Tried for hours to fix it and had no luck.

There is an rpm file you need to install. I think its called xmms-mpg123.rpm or something similar. you could do a search on rpmfind.net

when i get home to my own machines I will check it out for you all. but you certainly CAN play mp3s no bother with this rpm installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back