Fender or Gibson?

Fender or Gibson, who makes better guitars?

• Fender

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Gibson

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters

paranoid guy

Ok, I've noticed a few like-minded people around here and I'm having a fierce debate with one of the lads in my class at the moment(another guitarist) so I want your opinion. I've already seen this debated on a guitar forum but the general consensus there was that they were better for different styles of playing and I don't believe that. The whole sound of a guitar can be changed with effects pedals and I reckon you could get a Strat to sound like a Les Paul if you wanted/had the money, so it brings me to the basic question, which is a better maker of guitars?
Before you even do so much as plug them into an amp?

Either/Or

For the most part, they are both very strong contenders.....I will say neither is superior....just like ATI and Nvidia, you're going to have people preferring one over the other. I don't play but I've been around a LOT of players and I like 'em both....right outa the case.

I`ve always been a fan of Les paul`s. The fret board is totaly flat, which means you don`t get any string choking during string bends.

I also think the sustain is better and the tone is something to die for.

In my opinion, strats always sound a little thin, unless of course you replace the stock pickups, with for instance EMG`s etc.

Obviously I was a heavy rock freak.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards Howard :)

The whole sound of a guitar can be changed with effects pedals

I disagree. Both resonate differently. Besides - a truly good guitarist tends not to use millions of effects, preferring just one or two, or maybe three at any given time (the less the better), depending on the sound they're looking for. Each guitar has its own unique voice, which is kinda the whole point to going for one guitar over another.

Spike said:
I disagree.
I knew someone would :D
Spike said:
Both resonate differently. Besides - a truly good guitarist tends not to use millions of effects, preferring just one or two, or maybe three at any given time (the less the better), depending on the sound they're looking for. Each guitar has its own unique voice, which is kinda the whole point to going for one guitar over another.
Gah, I'd kinda have to agree with that. I wasn't saying that the two guitars weren't different, but in theory you could get pretty close, especially with effects pedals out now that let you replicate a famous guitarists sound.
Like I voted, I prefer Fenders. (I forgot to mention this, didn't I) The thing that always bothered me about Les Paul's (well 2 things)
1. The tone controls. I find it very hard to reach the tone controls on a Les Paul, and some SG models didn't even have a grip on the bloody things, so you were sliding around the thing. (maybe I'm just a midget)
2. The body. For me, a Strat just sits right (I don't want to play standing up all the time) and a Les Paul reminds me of a big hollow acoustic, harder to get around(the midget thing again) I'm 5'10 by the way, so I'm actually not a midget :D I will admit that you can get a crunchier tone out of a Les Paul easier, and that will appeal to you metal heads (not looking at anyone in particular, Howard :haha: )

...Ibanez... .. tis true, the raw sound of a guitar determines its sound quality.. effects shouldn't even be considered in this post

My Machine

Yeah. I like Ibanez guitars, particularly the Jem seven string. A little hard to get used to, but if you`re into the metal scene, it`s capable of some awsome low end crunch.

Fiziks said:
That is an absolutely stunning looking guitar! I never would've gone for an Ibanez, now I wish I'd put them in the poll too. And that thing isn't cheap, if I googled the right one. I got a price of $1200!
Another reason I prefer Fenders is they look better. "Looks aren't everything" but they sure as hell help. What can I say, I'm shallow when it comes to guitars :D
This here is the pipedream for me:
http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101200700
Just like Rory's...

I'm trying to save up money to get that guitar(the fender) now that I have a job. Should get it in a few months. Only a few months...
Waht sort of stuff do you play?

me, I can't play anything LOL, chili peppers - scar tissue, californication
everlast
alkaline trio - radio (lol)
pink floyd - shine on (took me weeks)

and then just random stuff I invent when I'm bored outta my damn mind
guitarwork isn't really one of my better skills, I just play it every once in awhile when I've got nothing else to do..

Fiziks said:
everlast

guitarwork isn't really one of my better skills, I just play it every once in awhile when I've got nothing else to do..

That`s a bit of a shame. With a beautiful guitar like that as well.

Have you ever thought of taking some guitar lessons?

You never know, you could be the next Joe satriani or Steve vai etc.

No discussion about Fender and Gibson would be complete without somebody
pointing out that Gibson`s are,of course, grossly overpriced(especially in Europe).
In terms of materials and build quality there are several other guitars at least as good.
Even the Gibson sound can be replicated,with a bit of tweaking.
People want the name,so they pay 30 - 40% premium to for it.

In answer to the question about Fender or Gibson,see Fiziks machine.

I totally agree Pedant.

I only voted for Gibson based on the two choices in the poll, I never really been a lover of Fenders.

I used to be a big fan of Charvel, Jackson and Kramer guitars.

I always wanted a B.C.Rich, simply because of all the pointy bits lol.

Fiziks said:
everlast

What you should do is learn how to read tabs, then you can basically learn almost any song, because the tabs are all on the internet. I am not happy unless I spend at least an hour a day playing (anything) and I've learnt loads by simply learning songs I like. Also, it makes it easier to "practice" if you really want to learn what you're learning, so I don't go and learn songs I hate.
Peddant said:
No discussion about Fender and Gibson would be complete without somebody
pointing out that Gibson`s are,of course, grossly overpriced(especially in Europe).
In terms of materials and build quality there are several other guitars at least as good.
Even the Gibson sound can be replicated,with a bit of tweaking.
People want the name,so they pay 30 - 40% premium to for it.

I completely agree with that. But Fender still only has one vote!

HowardHopkinson said:
I always wanted a B.C.Rich, simply because of all the pointy bits lol.
Is that Slash's guitar?

Have a look at the attachment.
Sorry the picture is not great, I'm scrambling to find another.

Attachments

• slash guitar2.jpg
    slash guitar2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 7
Just got Back in Black(AC/DC) and Echoes(Pink Floyd) in town.
:D :cool:
Anyway what do you think of the Fender I linked. Is good, no?

If you`re into Fender guitars and you obviously are, then yes that`s a very nice axe. Just not my cup of tea lol.

(sighs) Each to their own... So I suppose that's where the debate ends, for the moment anyway, until someone new joins the thread. It seems to be a matter of preference, even if Fender are obviously better :p :haha:

paranoid guy said:
(sighs) Each to their own... So I suppose that's where the debate ends, for the moment anyway, until someone new joins the thread. It seems to be a matter of preference, even if Fender are obviously better :p :haha:

Yes. You`re quite right mate. It really is a matter of personal preference.

At the end of the day, there are an awful lot of pro`s that use Fender.

Whatever makes you happy, is the right choice for you.

I don't Care. I'm going to nick Slashes hat and guitar. They're mine I tell ya!!!! mwahaha

Seriously though, I've liked slash ever since the Sweet child o mine video. lol

i'd have to go with fender, just because i own a fender j-bass. i'm an active bass player and love the tone i get (american 5-str w/noiseless pickups ;) ) and of course hex DR funk lo-riders.

i picked the fender because the tone and the action was amazing. and the beautiful rosewood body, maple neck, and chrome looks awesome. it wasn't cheap but was priced lower than many competing products.

i'm using an swr bass 750 head and an swr goliath III 4X10" cabinet. it keeps up with my band's two 120 watt tube guitar stacks, 500 watt PA, and a full drum set quite well. and of course it rattles windows half a block away...

Sounds like a pretty decent setup! I'm glad someone else is in the Fender corner, for a while I thought I'd have to convert everyone myself :haha: That's cool as well that you play bass, it's a very neglected instrument, at least where I'm from. I know bands that might have a great lead and drummer, but have to settle for any old bass player because they're so rare. It really is a problem that demands international attention :D

Back