Few questions about XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV30

I have an old P2 450Mhz that some of my family members still use. :rolleyes: If I install WinXP on it, how much RAM will it need? Also, if I use the WinXP disc that I have for my P4, will I need to buy a separate copy (Windows activation) Reason I'm asking is because I'm having trouble with it running Win98, creates some incompatabilities when using WinXP files on it (NTFS etc)

Thanks

I don't want to rain on your parade, but hasn't XP got some minimum requirements built into it?? And doesn't the P2 450Mhz fall short of those requirements??

Im not 100% sure about this, but make sure before you re-format and try and install...

Actually thinking about, if youv'e got your XP disc handy, theres a wizard on there (i think in the main menu) that checks your existing computer if you meet all the required requirements, so you can check before you start to try to install XP...
It'll also check for incompatible hardware, software etc...

Thanks. I was vaguely aware of the specs, but oh well doesn't matter too much. I'm cutting it a little too closely.

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
Additional Items or Services Required to Use Certain Windows

XP will run just fine on a 166mhz box provided you have ample RAM.

I have run XP on a 75mhz machine as well.

See my "Cutting the Fat" thread about how to reduce its install size.

But its listed "minimum requirements", especially CPU speed, are total BS. It will perfect on slower cpus. RAM is much more important.

A P2 450mhz cpu, provided you have at least 128mb ram, will run XP wonderfully. If you have 192mb or more RAM, depending on what you enable/disable, it will run flawlessly without slowdowns/lockups/etc.

450mhz is way more then enough.

Based on my personal experience I don't find WinXP (if you are using it for day to day activities) to be very useful on anything less that a P2-450 w/256 Meg of RAM. If you're doing very little with the machine (surf, notepad, solitaire) then 128 seems to be fine. I am a bit more demanding of my machines than most though. What is acceptable for many is not for me.

LNCPapa

Thanks Eric that's what I was looking for. Does it give you an option saying that you are installing it on a laptop?

I'm afraid this doens't matter. If you don't register it online I am pretty sure you have to register it over the phone to get it out of that 30 day trial period.

But yes like everyone else has said, 450 is plent, I have longhorn running on my 400 with 132 megs ram, and it is working ok for a beta. No big problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back