file locations on partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetchips

Ok. Dumb question here. I installed a new hard drive. When I was installing Windows XP, it asked me if I wanted to make a partition. Not sure what to do, I made one of 5gb. I formatted the rest of the disk as another partition from the disk management area, but I don't know how to make Windows install to the other drive unless I manually do it. Is there a way to make all the programs install by default to the bigger partition?

Much thanks

OK, first off, 5 GB for Windows is fine, I'd also install any apps there which you don't think you'll be removing any time soon. As for other apps and games, make another partition large enough to hold all that, then install them to it. You can then split the remaining partition however you want, so you can use it to store multimedia or other user data. This is especially useful if you should need to wipe out the system partition and reinstall windows.

As for your second question about making them install to the other partition by default, no, but all you need to do is point them there. However, some apps may complain and want to be installed to the system partition.

Thanks for the fast reply. That's what I have done, but I was hoping there would be an easier way to redirect them because yes, some do complain. Also, they don't show in the programs list on the start menu when on F. I don't want to make a zillion shortcuts.

Many thanks

The start menu shortcuts should be there no matter where you put your programs. Are you sure you didn't put "F:\blah" where the installer asks for the location of Start menu shortcuts?

Not all installers support specifying a manual installation location.

Also I have seen a few programs (smaller ones) that don't put anything in the start menu at all.
But as Nodsu said most should put them in there no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back