File Reappears after deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinl15

I deleted an empty folder from My Documents and everytime I restart the folder comes back. I have tried a Shift+Del to get rid of it permanently but it doesn't work. Anybody have any ideas.

Can you give us some details of the folder? Where and how was it created and by what programme if any.

I take it deleting it in safe mode didn`t help?

Regards Howard :)

Its a folder I created by right clicking and then clicking new folder. It is read only, 0 for size and 0 files in it. Its just funny that it deletes but after a restart comes back.

I have tried all of your ideas but none of these things work. Like I said I had created the folder about 1 month ago and now I dont need it and since it was empty I was going to delete it but it just won't go away. Guess I might have to live with it there.

dustinl15 said:
I have tried all of your ideas but none of these things work. Like I said I had created the folder about 1 month ago and now I dont need it and since it was empty I was going to delete it but it just won't go away. Guess I might have to live with it there.

This is certainly not a normal occurrence, but if you can "live" with it... so be it

Try creating another folder, then drag the folder you can`t delete into it. Then try deleting the new folder. See if that works.

Like Tmagic650 said, it`s not normal.

Thanks everybody for the ideas but nothing is working. So I thought rename it and I will use it for something else. Good Idea......but the name changes back to what it was earlier after I restart. Now this is starting to drive me nuts and I don't know what to do next but just let and "live with it".

Two things I`d like you to do.

1: Tell me exactly where the folder is located and what it`s called.

2: Read this thread HERE and then post a HJT log.

dustinl15 said:
I tried the unlocker program, and it removed it but it still came back. I think my computer is cursed.

I don't think this is a folder you created. What's the name of the folder? What's inside the folder? What is the location of the folder?

It seems to me that I have seen this before, but where? A phantom program created the file and the only way I got rid of it, was to format the drive. Could this phantom file folder have been created by something from AOL or Symantec?

From what dustinl15 has said, it`s a folder he created himself.

dustinl15 said:
Its a folder I created by right clicking and then clicking new folder. It is read only, 0 for size and 0 files in it. Its just funny that it deletes but after a restart comes back.

So your guess is as good as mine.

Rick said:
I don't think this is a folder you created. What's the name of the folder? What's inside the folder? What is the location of the folder?

We know nothing is inside the folder

We know that dustinl15 said he created the folder

We don't know where the folder is located

We don't know the folder name that reappears when the reappearing folder reappears :)

Can you answer us dustinl15?

You mentioned above about read-only status.. check that you have correct permissions and maybe uncheck that box with read-only and try deleting?

The location may help in finding out some more info about the folder like howard's asked you eg C:\windows\user\new folder etc.

If you're up to it and you are cleared of malware/etc by howard then you can try search the registry to see if that folder is being listed as a system/shell folder and hence recreating itself (possibility?)

EDIT: hmm.. didnt see the second page :\.. maybe give him some time, he might've gone to bed or something already..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back