File: rundll32.exe deleted - How do I get it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tongan

When I try to use anything in control panel I get the error message: "Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly..etc"

I have read countless forums of people with the same problem but nobody ever says how to get the file back.......
I was wondering if there was somewhere to download this file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - This is for Windows XP SP2

To restore a System32 executable (eg: sndvol32.exe) to the C:\Windows\System32 folder:

From your hard drive:

Click Start, Run, type cmd and press enter

Type cd c:\windows\i386 and press enter (change directory {cd} to whatever path the i386 folder is in, which could be C:\Windows\Driver Cache)

Type expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe and press ENTER ( note space between .ex_ and c: )

From your cd/dvd:

Hold down the SHIFT key, insert your cd/dvd into the tray and close the door - when the blinking lights stop release the SHIFT key

Click Start, Run, type cmd and press enter

Type cd e:\i386 and press enter (change directory {cd} to whatever cd/dvd you have the disk in and whatever path the i386 folder is in)

Type expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe and press ENTER ( note space between .ex_ and c: )

edit: in case there is a problem using the foregoing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back