File Structure Errors on my Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary: The file structures on NTFS partitions of two separate HDs are corrupted, but my FAT32 partitions are fine.

Details:
A few months ago, I installed a new 80gig Seagate SATA harddrive for my budget/backup computer. Since the beginning I experienced random crashes and reboots every few days. I ran Windows error checking tools and nothing showed up. I also checked the RAM using memtest86 and it came back fine. I assumed it was a weak power supply that I took from an old computer. But when I replaced it with a new, more powerful power supply, it continued to crash.

I then downloaded Seagate's Diagnostic tools and ran that. It reported that my main Windows partition (NTFS) failed the file structure test with critical errors. I ran Windows error tools (file system errors and bad sector checks) and this time it seemed to find some problems that it attempted to fix. Well, I ran the Seagate tool again and it still failed the file structure test.

I created a new FAT32 partition on the HD and backed up my files. I ran the Seagate tool again, and the NTFS partition failed, while the FAT32 partition passed. Seagate's tech support suggested I run chkdsk with the "f" and "r" options. I did this and it completely ruined my Windows install.

At this point, I decided to use an old spare ATA HD I had to reinstall Windows and retrieve my files off the Seagate HD. I copied my files onto the old HD which had been freshly formatted (as NTFS) and everything seemed fine. My plan was to wipe the Seagate clean and start all over. But, I ran the Seagate Tool on the old spare HD and it failed the file structure test also. Again I created a FAT32 partition and copied my files to it, and it passed the file structure test.

Can anyone explain whats going on here? Could I have a file that is corrupting my file system? Why does it only happen on NTFS partitions? How can I fix it?

Sorry this had to be so long and thanks in advance.

I use the seagate tools only for copy format ,if I have no GUI or OS running
but I don't think the app you are using supports ntfs only dos and fat
sorry to say but in most cases chkdsk will screw up your system
it has happened with me and my clients about 80% of the time
ckdsk from M$ idea must be if it does not like where a file is (or should be) it writes 0's to the file or erases content

Update!

I just did a clean install of Windows XP and immediately ran the SeaTools Desktop again and the partition failed again. I think you may be right, that it's just not compatible with NTFS. Although its interesting that the SeaTools Online version explicitly states that it IS compatible with NTFS. I'll try the online tool and see what it says. Thanks for the help.

seagate disk wizard does do ntfs setup
its the diagnostics that will not read ntfs correctly
this line from seagate
* If you are running Windows NT or OS/2, Data Advisor will test the structures of your DOS/FAT system partitions. However, it will not test NTFS or HPFS partitions.
I have used seagate discwizard not SeaTools Desktop to setup drives
this may not setup drives for you

im haveing a similar problem and looking for help.
i completely erased everything on the hard drive.
when trying to install winXP, i try to partition as ntfs, but it says that the disk is corrupted.
i know the disk isnt because ive ran a data lifeguard test.
i jsut cant find out why im not able to install Xp

my computer is:

ecs via PT800CE-A
ati radeon 9550
intel processor 3.0g
Wd sata HD wd1200
eclipse 512 ddr pc400(ran memtest86, came back with over 4000 errors, but said it might work, but isnt compatible)..im really not sure yet. trying to see if theres anythign i can do

i am also not sure if i have everything in bios set up..
i was wondering if there was a certain channel that the HD had to be on to work properly, or is there anything else that can cause the HD to say its corrupted durinf XP install?
thanks

I just ended up reformatting and reinstalling and I have had no problems so far. Have you tried to format as fat32 just to see what it says? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hot_bot14 should start new thread with your system and problems
but with that said try delete the partition and reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back