File WILL NOT delete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how this file got here. Probably from downloading crap on Limewire. I came across a file in one of my folders that i tried to delete, but nothing happened. Theres no error message at all. It just doesn't delete or do anything. When i try to rename it it does nothing. When i try to move it it does nothing. I'm stumped. Also, when you right-click the file, there is no properties option. I tried one of those moveonboot programs to delete it, but when i drag the file into the deleter box, it says the file cannot be found. I think i may have caught a virus. :mad:

livinglegend said:
Not sure how this file got here. Probably from downloading crap on Limewire. I came across a file in one of my folders that i tried to delete, but nothing happened. Theres no error message at all. It just doesn't delete or do anything. When i try to rename it it does nothing. When i try to move it it does nothing. I'm stumped. Also, when you right-click the file, there is no properties option. I tried one of those moveonboot programs to delete it, but when i drag the file into the deleter box, it says the file cannot be found. I think i may have caught a virus. :mad:

Try to use CCleaner. It's free. It may help in all probability.

downloaded the killbox. opened it up, and opened the full path of the file i wanted to delete. the file shows up while browsing for a file, but when i select ok, the input box stays blank. i tried this with another random file to see if the program was faulty, but it works for everything but the file that just WONT DELETE :(

Suppose you tell us what the path of the file actually IS and what the name of it is.

Turn on showing of file extensions if it's off. From My Computer-Tools-Folder Options-View tab-Hide Extensions...

Sometimes this happens to me because the path is to long. Not sure if that's your case. But if so, you could rename some upper folders to a single letter. Like if a folder is called "stuffIdownloadedthatIprobablyshouldntof" then rename it to just "a". If you shorten the path, you may be able to get rid of the "path not found" error.

But if your path is not long. You could try deleting it from Safe Mode with Command Prompt, or even from Recovery Console if you can get access to the folder.

A silly, and very easy, thing to try: Cut the folder to another directory and try to delete it there. It sometimes works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back