Files running slow on Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock15478

Hi, I have a brand new Dell Dimension 4600C with Windows XP Home Edition w/ a Pentium 4, 80 GB Hard Drive, 512 MB Ram, 2.66 GHZ, and it runs fine.....the actual programs anyway. My problem is that I have a huge directory with over 3,000 HTML documents (all of them have the Internet Explorer Icon) that take forever to load when browsing my computer. Now, they always took a long time to load on my old system, but when I transferred my files over to the Dell, they loaded instantly (like I expected they would on a brand new computer). BUT now 2 days later, they run slower (they don't load instantly....they take awhile to load, but still faster than the old system)......I haven't installed very much at all yet, let alone change any settings or anything. Why would they all of a sudden stop loading fast? Please let me know. Thanks!

Originally posted by rock15478
Hi, I have a brand new Dell Dimension 4600C with Windows XP Home Edition w/ a Pentium 4, 80 GB Hard Drive, 512 MB Ram, 2.66 GHZ, and it runs fine.....the actual programs anyway. My problem is that I have a huge directory with over 3,000 HTML documents (all of them have the Internet Explorer Icon) that take forever to load when browsing my computer. Now, they always took a long time to load on my old system, but when I transferred my files over to the Dell, they loaded instantly (like I expected they would on a brand new computer). BUT now 2 days later, they run slower (they don't load instantly....they take awhile to load, but still faster than the old system)......I haven't installed very much at all yet, let alone change any settings or anything. Why would they all of a sudden stop loading fast? Please let me know. Thanks!

Is it just this one directory that is taking so long to load? Did you create the files in this directory? Have you run a program like adware? http://www.lavasoftusa.com/:)

That can always be a problem if you have them set to thumbnails, it will try to load a preview of each individual web page that you have. Try turning that folder to details, or list, or anything that doesn't have a preview picture.

Choose View, then select the one you want.

BTW
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Re: Re: Files running slow on Windows XP Home

Originally posted by OS samurai
Is it just this one directory that is taking so long to load? Did you create the files in this directory? Have you run a program like adware? http://www.lavasoftusa.com/:)

Well, this is the only directory that I have tons of files in, so yes...it's just that one directory.....All the files were saved to that directory. No, I haven't run a program like adware. Do you suggest I do so? Thanks

Originally posted by poertner_1274
That can always be a problem if you have them set to thumbnails, it will try to load a preview of each individual web page that you have. Try turning that folder to details, or list, or anything that doesn't have a preview picture.

Choose View, then select the one you want.

BTW
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Yeah, it's currently on "list" but still takes alot longer than it used to. And besides, 2 days ago it loaded a preview for each one and it worked 100% fine......what would change this? Thanks

It can't hurt to run a scandisk. Especially if you're using FAT. I've seen minor corruptions screw up load times. Not to mention, it might help to chunk a few files into a subdir, if possible. Although it shouldn't take that long to load.

Maybe it's an autopreview thing...

Unless you need those files every day, why don't you compact them all in one ZIP-file?
You then only unpack what you need when you need it.

Re: Re: Re: Files running slow on Windows XP Home

Originally posted by rock15478
Well, this is the only directory that I have tons of files in, so yes...it's just that one directory.....All the files were saved to that directory. No, I haven't run a program like adware. Do you suggest I do so? Thanks

yeah I would run both scandisk & adware and see what they can do for you. spyware does funny things to your system

On another note...I have over 2,000 MP3 files in a directory (each displaying the MusicMatch Icon) and they load instantly. It's not so much that I need these files every day....it's just weird and wondered what was up....I mean the computer is only a week old and I've barely touched a thing. I've ran Spybot, and Adware and it hasn't helped with that directory. Any other ideas? Thanks

Have you checked to see if they are in tile or in icon format?

Tiles take far longer to load. By tiles I don't mean thumbnails either.

Right click in the white space of the window while browsing the folder and choose "view". Make sure "icons" is selected in the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back