Files suddenly take too long to open when connected to the network!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell D505 Celeron 1.6GHz laptop with 512MBRAM that has been in use for about a year and was working fine.
A couple of days ago, I configured it to connect to our office network, exactly the same way I perform it with other PC's of similar brand and specifications. Then suddenly, all files (Word, Excel, PDF) are taking too long (about 1 to 2 minutes) to open. The amazing thing here is that whenever I disconnect it from the network by unplugging the RJ45 cable, all those files simply jump out of the screen whenever I doubleclick the filename. I can see that all files open really fast while stand-alone but just as suddenly, crawls whenever I reconnect the RJ45 port. Also, once opened and then closed, I notice that the files open normally fast the second time. I mean, only during the first time that the files are opened that they exhibit the lag.

Hopefully, anybody is welcome to input any help.

Thank you.

perhaps you should have the office's network admin take a look at it. possible actions depend on the network type, server type and roles, and security settings.

It's much simpler.
Click on Start/Run, type services.msc and click OK.
Click on Standard tab and scroll down to Indexing Service
Rightclick it, STOP it and set Start Option to Disable.
Problem solved.

(For some silly reason, the index service wants to index all office documents, even on remote drives. Stupid Microshaft!)

Thank you for the replies. I immediately did what you adviced, however, it appears it couldn't solve the problem. I've tried to run a virus check, too, and it is all clean. What I noticed was that whenever I try to open a file with the network cable connected, the folder containing the file momentarily (about 1 to 2 mintues) show "Not responding" status in the Task Manager.
Eventually, the error status disappears and the file runs.
I would have just decided to format and recover the entire PC if not for the already installed engineering software inside. The PC user now simply disconnects the network cable whenever he needs to work on Office and PDF files and reconnects when he needs to move files to and from the server or use the Internet. Let's keep in touch though should a solution on this problem materializes. Thank you again.

open files

Could some antivirus program 'hold' those documents and scan them 'while-u-wait'?

you have to install TCPview to see to which remote computer you pc is trying to connect while you ar opening files(doc, txt, or pdf).

I have the same problem, but I see that my PC tries to connect to another pc in our LAN, everytime I try to open files. I m still searching for a Solution to get this fixed.

I'll apreciate if anyone has a solution for me..

Thanks.

zeuss2001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back