Final check before purchase - please comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hey everyone,

I know I have been boring you all silly with my frequent and repetitive questions but I just wanted to make sure one last time that the system I'm putting together is descent and will serve me well before I put the final order through. What I have is:

CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6300
Motherboard:Intel P965LTCK
Graphics Card: Gigabyte 7600GT Silent Pipe II
RAM: 2 x 1GB Corsair pc5300
Case: Antec Sonata II
PSU: Antec Smartpower 450Watt
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 250GB Sata
Dvd Burner: LG 16x Super Multi
Dvd reader/cd writer: Lg CD/DVD Rom Drive
Floppy: Panasonic Floppy Drive
Operating System: Windows XP Professional 32Bit
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 940N
Keyboard/mouse: Standard Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse

The following are things that I can afford to upgrade to but really dont want to unless its really worth it:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6400
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA965P-DS3
or
Gigabyte GA965P-S3
Graphics Card: 6800GS

As I said I will not upgrade unless I will really notice a difference.

Feel free to make any suggestions but keep in mind that I dont have a money tree in my backyard (Oh I wish I did:()

Also, if/when making suggestions, keep in mind the limited parts available to me.

Really all I want to know if anyone has had any problems with any of the above parts and if you think this system will serve me descently enough. I use it for general use... No extreme gaming and no resource hogging processes.

Any replies would be HUGELY appreciated.

Regards,

Korrupt

Everything is looking compatible from what I see. Your ram is 1.8v (which is all that board accepts it seems).

I found a support thread for that board. Seems that it is in desperate need of a bios update (which intel is currently working on). Have a read through it:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1908407

I have that case/psu you are looking at and love it. One note, that psu in there is one of Antec's cheap ones. A cheap antec is better than a cheap no-name of course, but my PSU did start to fail on me, and I have since replaced it with a new one.

Another thought on that case is the cooling system it has. It has this plastic piping system which I don't really like to much. You can of course opt to not use it and just remove it completely from your system. I happen to be using it to blow extra air on my CPU. You probably won't need to use it, as those conroe seem pretty good at staying cool. Reasons I don't like it:

1. It sucks in air from the BACK of the case, and there is no air filter on it so it sucks all kind of dust in.
2. It is HUGE. It takes up all the room in your case.

Thanks for your replies. Yes I probably will get rid of the big thing.

ANy more replies?

Regards,

Korrupt

um im not a genious but i always though its best to hav the same make dvd drive floppy drive and dvd rewriter drive makes it easier for updates and easier for ur computer to recognise

Thanks for your reply. You are partly correct, its a good idea to have the same make optical drives. It doesnt matter for floppy drive though because you will NEVER need to upgrade its firmware.

Also, welcome to Techspot

Regards,

Korrupt

save some bucks and salvage some old components you might have laying around like DVD roms, floppy drives, etc...

twite said:
Order the damn computer...it is fine.

Lol Twite. A $1200 computer is a big purchase for me, so forgive me for making sure that I get the right things. As stated

korrupt said:
keep in mind that I dont have a money tree in my backyard .

So keep that in mind.

Tedster said:
save some bucks and salvage some old components you might have laying around like DVD roms, floppy drives, etc....

That is what I am doing, using same dvd roms, floppy, and hard drive. As well as keyboard and mouse:)

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back