*Final* Debate of the PCI Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a new PCI video.card for my new Dell Dimension 3000 (3 Ghz P4 / 512 RAM) because I plan on running dual monitors and want to play games once in a while (NFSU2, HL2, D3 etc). I have been researching about the best PCI video.card out there and it's come down to two: Chaintech Ge.Force FX5200 and the Apollo Ge.Force FX5700LE.

Chaintech GeForce FX5200 [website] [newegg]
Pros- 256mb of onboard ram, great reviews on newegg, verified as 128 bit

Cons- only has 2 pixel pipelines, memory sp3ed is 332MHz

Apollo GeForce FX5700LE [newegg]
Pros- 4 pixel pipeline, ram speed is 400MHz

Cons - verified is 64bit, only 128mb of ram

So who wins between a 128 bit memory width with a 2 pixel pipeline card and a 64bit w/a 4 pixel pipeline card? I have no idea how I should choose between the two, please help

another place for reference (about the 64bit/128bit discrepancies)- http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=875004

:eek: Sorry if i'm annoying, I just want to get the best card

Are you sure the 5700le is 64bit? I was told to look at the arrangement of the memory chips to see if it's 64 or 128bit. If the chips are on one side of the fan, then it's 64bit, if they are on two sides (in an L formation), then it's 128bit. The 5700le has the L formation. I'm not sure that the L thing is true, but I do think the card may be 128bit. It says 64 bit texture filtering on the newegg site, but that's unrelated to the 128bit memory interface. If the 5700le is 64 bit, then get the 5200, but otherwise, get the 5700le.

Edit: It does seem like people say that the apollo 5700le is 64bit.

Man, i was in the same boat as you back in February and I bought a 5700LE. (Which is the best PCI card. I did alot of research.)

It's not even worth it, man. The perfomance increase is minimal over the intergrated Intel chip.

I sent the card back to Amazon.com and ordered a new computer from NewEgg for $950.

Now I have...

17" Samsung LCD monitor
nVidia 6600GT PCI-E
512MB RAM
Soltek K890PRO S939 motherboard
AMD 64 3000+ S939 CPU
DVD Burner
Aspire XNavigator Case

and im happier than ever. (Well the computer isnt together yet, still waiting on my case from NewEgg. Haha)

Cant believe I even wasted my time with that crappy PCI card.

Do yourself a favor and save money for a whole new system.

EDIT: I made a post about the 5700LE on this forum when I got it saying it was decent, but it really is not. I was just trying to justify my purchase. Hopefully that post doesnt mislead people into buying that crap card. :dead:

I bought the exact same system and I am looking for a good card aswell. Maybe they(dell) should tell people that it does not have a AGP slot or PCI express slot!!! I don't know enogh obout these damn computers to tell that fronm simple specs. If you find a good one please post it. I have a computer guy looking for me right now. If he finds something I will let you know!

Yeah, I agree, my dell has integrated graphics and no agp. Dell was deceptive, they advertised it as having integrated AGP graphics. I assumed that that meant it had agp, but I was wrong, plus they called it agp when it's not. This made me think it was a good computer, but I only knew enough about computers to be dangerous then, hehe. Well, the bright side is if I wouldn't have gotten a crappy pc, then I wouldn't have learned as much about pc's as I do now. I think agp-less mobos should be illegal. If it has integrated, it should at least have to have a agp slot too for upgradeability. And Intel is full of trash when they say their integrated graphics is equivalent to mainstream graphics cards. Integrated Intel is the absolute worst graphics ever, well maybe not quite, but it's in the competition for it. Intel and Dell are deceptive, because it's all about the $$$ to them.

Man, I don't know now. Here it says the 5200 is a 2 pipe gpu. But here it says it's 4 pipe. I don't know now. I used the first reference when I thought it was a 2 pipe, but now I see that rojakpot says it's 4 pipe. ???

A Sapphire Radeon 9250 card? Is it better or worse thab the 5200? A computer guy that I have been talking to was recommending the 9250 but he said they should be very close! Any suggestions!

If the 9250 has a 64 bit memory interface, then it will be a lot slower than the 5200. If they are both 128bit, then it'd be close.

The 9250 has 256 bit memory interface! I am going to order this one I think. It is about $210 canadian so hopefully it works good!

Umm, no 9250 has a 256bit interface. That's not referring to the memory interface, I think it's talking about the gpu core or something.

The FX 5200 is too underpowered to play any game made in the past 2 years. The 128 bit FX 5700LE is a great card, especially if you can find one with 256mb or RAM. You need to find one with a 325mhz core. Check Ebay. The Radeon 9250 is just plain sad. Avoid 64bit cards like the plague.

well pci will work fine i got 9 comps include a 2 dells

when you buy one get a 57000 256 bit and install it when you do that resart your computrer and press f8 and turn off the inter greded one because i bot this one dell i have for school and i was like it needs some work it was the 2400 o yea and if you buy ther gamer comp it comes with pci express **** if you turn off the old intergraded video card it should work all right and run games like battel feild 2 and every thing else so it shold be alright if you havbe at least p4 2.6 ghuz :bounce: puke:

battelfeild 2 said:
when you buy one get a 57000 256 bit and if you buy ther gamer comp it comes with pci express ****
The 5700 is not 256 bit. 256MB maybe, but not 256 bit.

battelfeild 2 said:
and if you buy ther gamer comp it comes with pci express ****

PCI-X is not ****, actually it is the newest interface around. First off i would like to point out that there an no periods in that whole thing. Battlefield, not battlefeild.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back