Fingerprint scanner for security

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

Has anyone used the fingerprint scanner for windows? I have nothing on any computer worth anything but having a fingerprinter scanner sounds really cool.

How much do they go for? Can you provide a link? I can search but if you already have, please share. I heard about them some time ago.

I wouldn’t use it in highly critical environment though, much easier to cut one’s finger than to hack a 16 digit Alpha-Numeric password.

I think eye scanners are better.

For home use though, would be cool, I’d get one for my system if they’re not that expensive.

It is convenient - easier to move your finger than type in 30 characters of gibberish :)
And much more cheaper than iris scanners.

Also, if a big guy approaches you with a knife, would you rather die than tell the password? And if you do work in such a place where choosing death would be an option then that guy with a knife getting to you indicates some serious security issues elsewhere.

beerabuser30 said:
Has anyone used the fingerprint scanner for windows? I have nothing on any computer worth anything but having a fingerprinter scanner sounds really cool.
These 'scanners' are associated with IDS (Intrustion Detection Systems).
This article has some information.

The are Pros & Cons to almost everything :)

Nodsu said:
Also, if a big guy approaches you with a knife, would you rather die than tell the password? And if you do work in such a place where choosing death would be an option then that guy with a knife getting to you indicates some serious security issues elsewhere.

It is the IFs and BUTs that will get you since there are so many of them, so one of them IFs will get "you" one day :D

It was made by microsoft and I just saw it at BestBuy wasn't even on a crazy web link or anything. I do agree retna scanners would be much more cool. It was only $55 as well.

I have a fingerprint scanner built into my work laptop. It is very handy as Nodsu said regarding ease of password and use. But as far as security goes, I have had friends try, as well as my other fingers and it has not let anyone but myself in (with only the programmed digit). The only bad thing is that I have to change my password every 45 days or so and after using the fingerprint for so long at times I forget my old password :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back