Firefox & Acrobat=100% cpu??

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazon_sephy

Hi again,

This problem for me is not new. For some reason, when i try to close webpages that open up acrobat reader, it drives cpu util to 100, and takes several minutes to close. Usually i just end up "end tasking" it as its faster. Anyone else have this problem or know whats going on here? Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Btw, im using both firefox 1.0pr and acrobat reader 6.0 on XP pro.

I get that often, I just wait for it to properly close the Window displaying the PDF file as I always have many windows open & I would hate to loose them all.:p

I've seen this happen as well. I've actually had more success in Firefox using the older 5.0 Acrobat plugin. You could uninstall 6 and give that a shot or try opening the .pdf in its own browser window instead of a Tab.

I believe they fixed this problem. I forget if it was Firefox 0.8 or 0.9 that fixed it or an update of Acrobat reader. I haven't had that problem in a while. I'm waiting for FF 1.0 final release before I upgrade from 0.9.3 so maybe the problem got re-introduced again. I know Acrobat Pro 6 does the same thing even in the newer Firefoxes. Try uninstallng Acrobat Reader and installing the latest version, otherwise you'll have to revert back to Acroread5. You can usually find it on an older software CD laying around in your collection :)

I think ill just wait for the final version to come out, should be any time now anyways. Im starting to get rather annoyed with FF pr1.0 though, as it has locked my computer up many times now, particularly when i try to download something, it will start to download something for like 5 secs and then lock, or wont even bring up the download manager, resulting in me restarting the computer. Sigh, i never had any of these problems with .7, or .8, but with .9 and pr 1.0 bugs seem more prevalent to me. Hopefully things will be fixed in final release. I remember reading somewhere that the second pr 1.0 release had like 250 bugs squashed, but havent bothered to download that one, as i dont want to run into any more issues...

FF final version is still not out? The browser I use is shown as v1. And it works wonderfully.
Please check up.
Astroram

Well, when i wrote that the final version wasnt out, but i do have it now. The problem still pursists unfortunataly. Im thinking that maybe if i did a nice clean install it would clear up the problem. My laptop runs version .9.2 and works much faster than on my desktop. The desktop has roughly 3x the power which looks bad....

The problem is almost certainly with Acrobat. Try the utility in the link suggested by Liquidlen. I used it or something very much like it and it worked wonders. It loads much faster now.

It still regularly "phones home" to check for updates and if its site is slow in responding it may take some time and even appear to be hanging.

Also, immediately after first use of Acrobat go to Windows Task Manager/Processes, right-click on WISPTIS.EXE and select End Process. It is meant for communicating with Tablet PC's and it can sometimes really cause your PC to hang.

And if you are not going to use Acrobat again during the session you can similarly "kill" AcroRd32.exe as Mictlantecuhtli has suggested. But if you are going to use it again leave AcroRd32.exe running.

HTH

Well, i just tried the link up there, and wow it works wonders for loading acrobat really fast!!! Thats a nice thing, but however, it still takes forever to close down. Oh, i had forgot to mention that i do kill acrobat in the taskmanager... Doing so does not help the situation. Acrobat is killed, but firefox still uses 100% cpu for about a minute.... at this same time it shows Firefox as "not responding".....

If it takes forever to close then there is something wrong with your system and it seems to be related to FF. Mine closes immediately although AcroRd32.exe and Wisptis.exe continue running in the background. But then I don't have FF. You might try googling FF along with Acrobat/AcroRd32.

My suggestion about ending AcroRd32.exe and Wisptis.exe was not aimed at FF specifically. More generally, the more processes you have running in the background, i.e. in RAM, the slower your system is going to be. If they are essential you need to let them run. But why leave those others running if you are not using them. Unless you have a Tablet PC you have absolutely no need for Wisptis.exe. And if you are opening a PDF file every few minutes then you should leave it running. Otherwise, why not end it?

It only takes a few seconds to end them.

change pdf app?

Hy

I have the same problem :bounce: . I'm looking for a way to change the file type so Firefox launch Gsview for pdf files instead of Acrobat. Any sugestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back