Firefox help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Firefox for a very long yime and this is the first time I have encountered this problem. For some reason, i am unable to start Firefox and it does not show up in Task Manager. I have the latest version and I have un-installed and re-installed 4 times with no change. I click on the shortcut icon for 30 seconds straight, still nothing. I just want to know if anyone has this problem and/or can someone help me.

Sounds as if you have an infestation of some sort. We find Firefox to be rock solid. But we have seen a number of problems on client computers that seem to have been targeted by on-line evils.
75 percent of our clients are Firefox users at hour behest... and we have not seen quite what you describe.
Have you run AVG antispyware, AVG antivirus, Adaware 2007 and SpyBot 14 scans in both normal and Safe Mode?

If you have a windows disc that allows it, I would also run Windows in Repair mode. We think that is a good way to repair some of the common damage resulting from infestations

Honestly, I have run AVG Anti-Spy, AVG Anti-Virus, and Norton. All three scans came back clean. I have multiple firewalls and other protection programs running at all times so im sure there is no virus/spyware on my computer. This problem with Firefox started today.

Actually no, that's never happened to me but.....

Here are some things to try: Uninstall Firefox, then
go into C:/ program files and delete the entire firefox folder, but save the bookmarks folder. (move it to the desktop). It's easy to import later.
Run some type of registry cleaner. Personally I like "Tweaknow" it's a freebie, get it here: http://www.tweaknow.com/products.html Read the instructions before you tear into this, you just want to get rid of any stray Mozilla/Firefox entries.
Try downloading an earlier version of the browser say 1.5 and installing that.
Spyware could have knocked your browser, scan with anti-virus and anti-spyware while you have Firefox uninstalled.
I always go the chicken s***, rookie route and shut down the anti-virus and anti-spyware, plus close all the open programs when I'm trying to install something. Best of luck.

Good luck. Please let us know when you discover the cause. I found nothing in my searches, as I assume you also did not.

It could be helpful to know what configuration you have... computer, motherboard, OS, spyware, etc... as the previous post did remind me that we have seen problems with both McAfee and CA EZantiarmor in the past few weeks.

Since at this point, you have nothing to lose.....

If the other stuff doesn't work, you could try using system restore to clock it back a day or so. Hey, could do the trick, if nothing else works, there's nothing to lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back