Firefox will not open any sites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help. I Googled Firefox problems and this forum came up. I'm hoping someone here can help me because I neeeeed my browser back. Here's the background, my mouse wasn't working so I had to do a hard reboot of my computer, I had Firefox open because I was browsing around online. Computer started back up, gave me an error that said I had a keyboard failure. At this point, I took the cover off of my computer because it had a family of dust bunnies living in it and I figured now was as good a time as any to clean it out a bit. After practically taking an axe to the freaking cover, it came off, I cleaned it out. Hooked everything back up and still a keyboard failure and mouse problems. So, I switched out keyboards and now it's all working fine. I opened up Firefox and.....nothing. Browser opened up and it didn't go to my homepage. The "back" button and other buttons are greyed out. I clicked on refresh and the instant I click the "X" button highlights in red and nothing happens. I tried my homepage, other saved pages and typing in a web address, nothing. I exited the browser, rebooted and tried again. Nothing. I uninstalled Firefox and then installed it again. Same problem. What is going on? My IE and Netscape work just fine, why won't Firefox work? I'm lost, I've checked out all my preferences and settings and can't find anything that looks like it would help. That's the extent of what I know to do and I need my browser back it's the only one I like and it has all my little shortcuts and things I need!

I would appreciate any help anybody might have to offer.

Thank you!

Try doing this in Firefox

File > Work Online?

You might be disconnected from the internet from Firefox.

Nope, that's not it. I already checked that out because sometimes it does weird things if I switch between IE and Firefox. But it didn't have me as working offline. I even toggled it to offline and then back to online to see and nothing. But thanks for the tip. Keep the ideas coming because I still haven't figured it out.

Ugh. I tried System Restore, which is usually the answer to most of my self-imposed woes and it did NOTHING. Actually, that's wrong, now when I even try to open my freaking Firefox browser it won't even open. What's going on here?

Okay, I'm just going to edit my posts as I try things out here. I went in and uninstalled Firefox again. Then went in and manually deleted the file I found as well. Then I installed it AGAIN. Now the browser opens but doesn't go anywhere, just like before.

I was looking at the Firefox support forums and saw something about firewalls not allowing access when you update Firefox. I would imagine that if that was the problem that I would be getting an error message or something and not just NOTHING. But I went in and added it and still NOTHING. Grrrrrrrr.

OMG, I FIXED IT!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! It WAS a firewall issue. I had checked the setting in my Windows Security Firewall settings but didn't do it in McAfee. I went in there and sure enough Firefox was listed as "Blocked". So, I switched it back to allow full access and BANG, it's baaaaack!

I'm so glad it's fixed because I'm such a creature of habit. I do NOT like having to adjust back to something that I don't use everyday.

Thanks!
Carrie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back