FireFox - Your Thoughts Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smell the Glove

I've been advised that FireFox is a better Internet Browser than IE. Is this the case?

Can anybody list the good and bad points and tell me whether it is worth switching over to FF.

Cheers.

free with more security and without all the bugs that they are still working out of IE after how many years of it being around..plus they have a much better security scheme

Automatically blocks popups
Automatically blocks ActiveX controls
Smaller, lighter, less resources, faster, it better supports web standards like XHTML, CSS and more.
It has cooler plugins too. RSS feeds. And of course the all powerfull tabbed browsing schema.

Lemme say this, you hop in IE, and go to a page, a virus gets put on your machine whether you like it or not. Just by going to the page. That is IE.

Though Firefox be praised, I actually use Avant. www.avantbrowser.com. It is also small, fast, less resources, blocks popups etc... It is built on the IE engine so basically it can do what IE can, but it is a shell around it. Hard to explain, but I like it much better then IE, even then Firefox, mainly due to better, in my mind, handling of tabbed browsing then FF.

The other cool thing is that, unlike IE, these can be UNinstalled and removed. For updates or problems etc... But MS thinks nobody should be without IE, and thus you can NOT fully get rid of it. Or really fully reinstall it when corrupted.

You can always just try install Firefox & see how you like it. It's not integrated into the OS or anything so it can be removed at any time without issue.

I never been a big fan of IE. After switching to firefox, I am very pleased. It's free, not Microsoft, and much more secure and user-friendly. I rountinely get new skins and plugins from the Firefox website, and they only do what they advertise. Here's a few of the plugins I recommend for firefox when you download it....

Adblock 0.5.2.039 https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=10
A very useful tool that allows you selectively block pop-unders and rich media ads that slip through Firefox's pop-up blocker....a must have

Tabbrowser Preferences 1.2.8.7
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=158
A plugin that tweaks tabbed browsing in Firefox to more closely resemble tabbing found in Opera. Very useful at preventing a cluttered taskbar, and once you're used to it, hard to live without...

Forecastfox 0.8.2.4
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensio...tion=firefox&category=Popular&numpg=10&id=398
An unobtrusive weather forecast plugin...I use it regularly.

StumbleUpon 2.2
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensio...tion=firefox&category=Popular&numpg=10&id=138
StumbleUpon is a pretty cool plugin. Simply list your preferences (i.e. Photography, Computers, Cooking, etc.) and when you click Stumble on your on the toolbar, it redirects you to a site matching your preferences. The sites Stumble uses are only ones that have been recommended by other Stumble users.

There are countless other useful and cool plugins at the following address:
https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

I hope this helps convert you to Firefox. IE is the most flawed piece of programming out there...

IE is good

I personally like the design and use of Internet Explorer better. I've never had a virus or spyware on my laptop, and it never has had problems. I haven't really given FireFox a deep scan yet, so maybe there are hidden jems.

I have been using Firefox for probably 2 years now, and I think IE is a joke. I automatically install it on any customers computer I work on LOL. Sometimes they use it and realize how much safer and better it is, yet others uninstall it and keep on using that IE, I then tell them things about what IE has done to computers worldwide, such as downloading viruses and spy ware when Firefox hasn't done any of that. And Micro$oft tries to say IE7 is better? lol IE7 is just a plain hassle to INSTALL :D, it took around 20 minutes to install when firefox took 1min :) and IE7 really uses up resources like crazy. You can pull up Task Manager and watch IE7 spike your CPU when you scroll through a page. I think all versions of IE are a joke. They try to make people think it's the safest browser in the world lol. If you plan on your new windows system to be virus free, you better have that Firefox Setup file lying around on a flash drive, so you can completely bypass going into IE. The only time my IE was useful was when I went to Google and searched "Firefox Download" and downloaded the trustworthy browser. Not to mention I think every 100 times you open IE, it talks to M$ about your system and information. Also including Windows Updates and Activation. that's why it's integrated into the Windows OS. You can go to the Install/Remove Windows components and check IE and click remove as many times as you want, but IE stays there no matter what :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back